Equipment and stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish love

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I want to start a 29 gallon aquarium. I already have the tank, it has freshwater fish in it, and after they pass I plan on starting. I have been looking at some equipment and narrowed it down to these. I wanted to know which you would suggest.

RO/DI System options:
1)75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English
2)Filter Direct Online Store (C)

Lighting:
1)30in 4Bulbs fixtures
2)http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...ein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

Skimmers:
1)AquaC Protein Skimmer
2)AquaC Protein Skimmer

Power heads:
Hydor Koralia Controllable Pump/Powerhead
Either two nano's or one of the Hydor Koralia 1 Controllable and one nano.

How many pounds of live rock should I get? Anything to look for when buying?
I plan on cycling for about a month with a piece of raw shrimp. I was told I do not need a filter in the 29 gallon. Just a skimmer and water changes will be OK. If I need a filter, what should I get?

Along with the live rock I am going to keep mushrooms and maybe a few small soft corals. Do not know which type yet. Have to go to my LFS and write down names of some then come home and research them. Any suggestions for the mushrooms and soft corals?

Now I need stocking help. I know I can not have much, but I am fine with that. At the LFS they have tons of clowns. Snowflake, skunk, false, true, and many more. I wanted to start out with false. They sell pairs, but I am not sure I want a pair. They sell singles, so I think i'll get one of those.

Blenny. Is there any I could have in a 29 gallon? I would like either a lawnmower or a bi-color. I think the bi-color is a better choice, if any can fit at all.

Cleaner shrimp also grab my attention. I do not want to overstock at all, so please tell me if I am going overboard. I was thinking 1 clown 1 blenny and 3 cleaners. Maybe 2 clown.

I also heard that the blennies are hard to feed sometimes. So, maybe a firefish goby instead of the blenny. So, if I get the firefish, what can go with it? I know I can not have any other gobies or blennies. So as a bottom feeder I was thinking a few cleaner shrimp. If I got a firefish, I would leave the clown out.

This is so long. Sorry. Can you tell me some suggestions of your own?

I can touch on a few of your questions. :)

With a 29g tank you won't need a skimmer if you do weekly water changes like youre supposed to. If you get into alot of corals that may be the time to go for the skimmer.

I plan on possibly 5 fish in my 29g. My last 29g had 5 fish in it. Pair of clowns, blenny, royal gramma and a goby. I don't see why you couldnt have some cleaner shrimp, they have almost no bioload so it's kinda like a freebie. lol

Good place to start with corals is zooa's, muchrooms and leathers, maybe some candycanes or something like that.

Hope that helped some

Back
Top Bottom