EUREKA !!! its planted :) Pics - before and after

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
The fish seem VERY happy - even the snails are happily wandering around their redecorated home.

It took a total of 5 hours to do get the tank redone. The Ludwiglia Repens was in there from last week and was the only thing that hasn't been changed. I started by planting the Red Rubin Sword in its pot, then tieing the anubias (5 v nana, 3 v barteri barteri) and jave fern (5 lace, 2 regular) to the "tree", the "rocks" and the "caves". I kept all this in a rubbermaid storage bin with declorinated water until I was ready to add them to the tank.

The tank is still basically barebottom. I only added back about a dozen of the glass beads that were in there.

I spent about an hour cleaning everything of diatoms (YUCK !).

Then I did a 50% water change and put the plants (and their ceramics) into the tank.

Let me know what you think.

That is a ceramic tree, very cool, really couldn't picture it

Keep the pictures you took today and date them. I month or two from now you won't believe how much things changed.

Thankyou, Thankyouvery much :)

Good advice - I've started a photo journal to watch the plants progress. This is my first attempt at live plants, and I do like it so much better. That ceramic tree is my new "pride and joy" - With the Anubias Nana's at the end of each "branch" it came out pretty cool (if I do say so myself LOL).

I've been watching the fish and the snails checking it all out - if they could talk they'd probably say "WHOA !!! thanks Mom !!!" (or "its about time you got rid of that nonsense that you had in our home !!")

I couldn't have done it without y'all ! My fish thankyouverymuch too !!

Thanks. I've made caves and "hiding holes" in pottery class - everyone else was making gorgeous pots LOL. My classmates and teacher are going to get a kick out of the tree.

Nice...What did you use for potting medium?

What great idea to make custom ornaments from ceramic.

CH

Thanks CH. I used Eco-Complete in the pots - I used about 2 lbs of the 20 lb bag ! LOL. And they sent me a second bag by mistake !!
Luckily have those 2 20 gallon tanks we found in the attic just waiting to be put back into service so I'll prob do one of them with an Eco-Complete substrate and do a heavily planted tank for Rams in that one.

Your tank looks awesome! I've been making rough-looking hidey-caves in my ceramics class this summer while everyone else is making gorgeous pots, too. I really like the tree though. Now I want to make one and I have a question about the construction. Were the ends of the branches left nonglazed so the plants could adhere that way or are the plants just tied on?

Thanks for the compliment mango. Its so nice to know I'm not the only person making things for her pets in ceramics class ! LOL

I just PM'd you with the method I used to create the tree (I was going to do it here but didn't want to bore anyone - it was alot longer than I thought it would be).

I punched wholes into the end of each branch while they were wet using a drinking straw and tied the plants on using fishing line. I think you're right - if you also left a couple of inches of the branches unglazed the roots would be able to adhere after awhile - good thinking !

Today I added two hugh swords and 4 stems of wisteria. I also replaced the 12" bubble wall with a 6" one and moved it from the back of the tank to the side. I STILL can't believe I actually have a planted tank ! Couldn't have done it without the forum and you guys :)

Attachments

• tank_26aug06_107.jpg
    tank_26aug06_107.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom