Euthanasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sad times here...my Oranda is most definitely dying. I know I have done every possible thing for him. His decline has been for about a month steady.

Rather than advice in keeping him alive, and suffering, can anyone recommend euthanasia for my poor guy? I can't bear to flush him. He's been years of relaxation and humor for us.

:(
Thank you

In my opinion boiling water and then dropping the fish in it for 2 seconds is the easiest way. The fish dies instantly so I also feel as if it's the most humane way as well.
It's very hard but its over immediately. So sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck : (

Remember ..boil the water first AND THEN put the fish in it briefly.

Yikes, boiling? that sounds a bit harsh! What about clove oil? Failing that, you could put him in a tub of water in the freezer, that way they just slow down & fall asleep in the cold and dark, just remember to remove him before anyone goes looking for ice cream!

Nope not harsh. Freezing a live fish is harsh if you think about it.
Remember the fish wouldn't be boiled... it would be dropped into already boiling water.
There is an article on this website that goes through multiple options.

I use the freezing water method. Put a container of water that is big enough and deep enough to totally cover your fish in the freezer. Add some ice cubes if you want to speed the freezing along. Wait until there is a thin layer of ice on the top of the water. Break it up with you fingers. If you used ice cubes remove them now. Drop the fish in and it should die almost instantly. I put it back in the freezer for another few minutes and than you can remove and dispose of the fish. It's really a sad time so be prepared but in the end it is an act of kindness. If there is no hope you don't want to make your fish suffer. Best to you and so sorrry to hear about your fish. :-(

Thanks do much for your input. I did opt for the freezing. It broke my heart. Still breaking, actually. I understand the mechanics behind the boiling water, but I myself, couldn't do it. I hate having to do this, but I know he was suffering.

Once again, thanks guys. People on here make a sad time more bearable.

My husband looked at me like I had a penis in my forehead when I began to cry.

Back
Top Bottom