Euthinasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
My large goldie is at a point in her sickness that there is no use and she is obviously suffering.
She is far into fropsy and has pine coned, she is developing sore on her sides so i've decided to put her out ofher misery.
Sooo.... I need to know how much vodka/oil of cloves to dose her with, shes about 7-8 inches long.

vodka can be used like that??? Well clove oil will definately do the job, and I would say it depends in what you put her in.. like a 5 gallon bucket etc...

I am so sorry to hear about your goldfish. Here is some information about euthanasia I found on the web...

Preferred Method:

Clove Oil and Tank Water Method

Buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under $10 for a ½ ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl in his own water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a lid (I use a cleaned out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank water. Put the lid on and shake it like crazy over and over until the liquid in it is white. Then pour a little into the mixing bowl with the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish might fight it just a little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more in and swirl again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he doesn't, try a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well before an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or zip-lock baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very humane. We should all go so easily.

Clove Oil and Vodka DON'T USE!!!!

The clove oil and vodka method is often sited as a humane method of fish euthanasia. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish for surgery. The vodka is used to disperse the clove oil in the water. The clove oil/vodka mixture is placed in water and then the fish is added and supposedly dies peacefully. This doesn't work! Use the clove oil and tank water method described above.

I believed, after hearing about a betta struggling and thrashing when placed in the clove oil/vodka bath (IN WATER), that there must be a better way.

Other Methods

Tricaine Methanosulfate (TMS)

Another method I was told about is another fish anesthetic called Tricaine Methanosulfate ( TMS). One gram of TMS in one liter of water makes a bath that will put the fish to death peacefully. I haven’t tried this, so I can’t personally recommend it.

Freezer Method
An old and still widely used method of fish euthanasia is to place the fish in a container of its own tank water and place it in the freezer. I have done this, but have never been completely comfortable with it.

Using a knife
Slice the fish right behind the gills. Cut all the way through and take the fish’s head off. Quick and painless, if you can do it.

Slamming
Net the fish and slam them hard against the floor, a wall or a countertop. An alternative, and not quite as traumatic to the fish owner would be to place the fish in a bag before slamming. I don’t believe this would work very well with very small fish as their lack of weight may make this method ineffective.

In the end, I believe the most humane way to euthanize a fish is with the clove oil and tank water method. I have used it myself and can verify that it is quick, humane and apparently painless.

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p...=jtzV0SAa2XAJ:www.kokosgoldfish.com/moor.html

I hope this helps.

I must admit that I haven't tried any of these. I don't think I could slam or stab my fish though... I think the clove oil is the way to go, and that you are doing the right thing for your fish.

Actually, the clove oil/vodka route IS a humane way to euthanise; the thing is getting the right ratios. Its when there is too much vodka there is a prob. We're talking 2 mls of clove oil, 8 mls of vodka to one gallon of water, not a shot glass of vodka and I think thats where the issues arise. The shot glass of vodka is for the owner ;)

Using clove oil with tank water isn't very successdul as clove oil IS an oil, and stays seperate from the tank water. Thats what the vodka is for; to emulsify the clove oil and spread it evenly thru the water.

From bettasrus.com: First, mix 2 ml clove oil (can be obtained from a pharmacy or health food store) with 8 mls vodka to make a 10 ml stock solution. Place the fish in a container with one gallon of water and add the 10 mls of clove oil and vodka to the one gallon of water, and the fish should just go to sleep quietly with no struggle. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish for surgery, and the vodka is necessary so that the clove oil will dissolve in the water. If your fish struggles, it is most likely because the vodka level was too high. Never raise the vodka level, please. The vodka may come in handy afterwards to wash down the guilt :(((

Should work, the only problem I can see is that you have a bigger fish, so maybe you would need more concentration per volume.

As long as the ratios are the same shouldn't be a problem. Eg: 2mls clove oil, 8 mls vodka per gallon = 8 mls clove oil, 32 mls vodka for 4 gallons.

Well, sadly it worked like a charm and she's now in a deep cold everlasting slumber.
She was the fisrt fish I ever took care of.

Aww cap't. Im sorry you had to put her down. I am impressed that you didn't let her suffer, and did something thats very difficult to do.

I'm sending some kudos your way for taking on such a heavy responsibility.

My heart goes out to you Capt. It had to be a very difficult decision, but you did the right thing. Your sweet fish will look down fondly upon you from fishy heaven (if there is such a place) or perhaps have the honor of being reincarnated to be a fish of yours again (if you believe in such things).

Oooo. I wanna be reincarnated as one of my fish! They have some life. Better then mine LOL

LOL Well, I think that all depends on the owner you get. If the owner has found this board, then I will be glad to be reincarnated as an aquarium fish.

Actually there is some chinese folklore about goldfish turning into dragons when they pass on, if they are well cared for in their "fish" stage. Very good luck to have a dragon looking after yas!

Back
Top Bottom