Evaporation and Water Movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your thinking of quilt batting, though I was suggesting filter sponge to help reduce output flow on the aqua clear filters. Not has filter media

My bad. I re-read your post and I see what you mean. The plastic lip extensions seem to be working fine but the sponge for the AC50 came in a three pack so I have something to work with.

Superglue.
I had pictures of the rails in progress but due to a technical problem with my phone I lost the pics.
I used the type of PVC that is used as trim as an alternate to wood. I actually had some lying around because I was doing a project for a closet that required 3/4" x 1 1/2" wood trim. I was in a hurry so i selected the PVC since it required no priming and sanding. It is white and cuts easier then wood. I measured the width of the top of the existing rail and it's 1 cm. I ran the PVC trim through a table saw (I get better results with a table versus scroll or jigsaw) to get the 1cm width. The height is about 3/4". I trimmed off the corners to give it a finished look. I used a name brand black spray paint that is okay for plastic. After dry fitting I secured it with superglue.
Of note: I should have put on a third coat of paint before using. Or a final coat of varnish, lacquer, etc. After moving the light fixture once, it lifted off some of the paint. Not much but it was noticeable.
Here are some close up pictures:

Thanks for the details! I'm gonna give that a try.

Hey I have an AC50 also and I was wondering where did you find output extensions?

My waterfall beats up some of my plants also and I'd rather it outflow like my Aqueon.

On topic: I have been noticing slightly more evaporation with my tank hood off also. My stand hood has 2 glass tops that I started to leave open because of condensation. But I want to eventually change the lighting so it won't probably fit anymore unless I modify it.

Hey I have an AC50 also and I was wondering where did you find output extensions?

My waterfall beats up some of my plants also and I'd rather it outflow like my Aqueon.

On topic: I have been noticing slightly more evaporation with my tank hood off also. My stand hood has 2 glass tops that I started to leave open because of condensation. But I want to eventually change the lighting so it won't probably fit anymore unless I modify it.

I made the extensions from the plastic strip that is sold with glass tops. Not sure if they are sold separately. And the strips are not the same from brand to brand. For example, the MarineLand type are thin, flexible and easy to work with (scissors will do). Aqueon strips are thick; I needed tin snips to cut the plastic.

Regarding evaporation: with the water flow pointing down (no splash) the evaporation appears to be no different or at best slightly slower than with the current running along the surface. I was hoping for better results. I really should measure this more precisely; in mm over an exact period of time.

Superglue.
I had pictures of the rails in progress but due to a technical problem with my phone I lost the pics.
I used the type of PVC that is used as trim as an alternate to wood. I actually had some lying around because I was doing a project for a closet that required 3/4" x 1 1/2" wood trim. I was in a hurry so i selected the PVC since it required no priming and sanding. It is white and cuts easier then wood. I measured the width of the top of the existing rail and it's 1 cm. I ran the PVC trim through a table saw (I get better results with a table versus scroll or jigsaw) to get the 1cm width. The height is about 3/4". I trimmed off the corners to give it a finished look. I used a name brand black spray paint that is okay for plastic. After dry fitting I secured it with superglue.
Of note: I should have put on a third coat of paint before using. Or a final coat of varnish, lacquer, etc. After moving the light fixture once, it lifted off some of the paint. Not much but it was noticeable.
Here are some close up pictures:

Do you know what the pvc part is called? I asked you about it a while ago and I just set up the tanks again.

Do you know what the pvc part is called? I asked you about it a while ago and I just set up the tanks again.

Unfortunately I sliced through the label with my saw buy lookup PVC board 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 8 ft
Here is a pic showing the section I cut off for the rail which is 1 cm wide.
image-4128746480.jpg
You wont need an 8' board like this; it was leftover from another project

I did a PWC on Friday along with some filter maintenance on my Aqueon.

Mainly I cleaned out a ton of organic buildup because it was causing a tiny ammonia spike. Afterwards my Aqueon outflow was much faster and caused more surface agitation.

This led to much faster water evap, because its only Tuesday and I have a noticeable water drop already. Normally I would see this by Thursday or the next PWC.

Back
Top Bottom