Everything about zoas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking into adding them to a dwarf seahorse tank. (currently cycling so I got time) salinity, how do I feed them, if I need to, and how big/small of one would I need for a 5 gallon and 10 gallon?

Zoas would be a nice addition for a seahorse tank. They are peaceful coral, and don't release any sweepers or anything. They have toxins, but i'm not even going to get in to that because you don't need to worry about it. Just don't drink the water, and always wash your hands after handling them. But that goes without saying for just about everything.

Anyways, salinity is typical, 1.023-1.026. Some like high light, others like low light, it really all depends on the morph. They generally do well under all type of lighting, PC, VHO, MH, T5, LEDs, etc..

You do not need to feed them at all, as long as you have proper lighting.

I'm not sure what you mean by how big/small. They come in all different sizes, some small, and some have large polyps. It's up to you which one you get. Whatever strikes your eye as appealing I guess.

Ahhh. That toxin part got me a little worried. The salinity of my tank is .019. It's a good salinity for dwarf seahorses.

Interesting. Then I take back what I said, zoas will probably wind up dead in your tank if you keep the salinity at that level. Sorry. I don't think they can survive at that salinity level. It's too low. :(

Im not really that upset about it. I'm setting this up for the seahorses if I can have a coral or two great if I can't it doesn't really matter. Also I have a question you might be able to answer. Are Rotifers the same size as Copepods? And I have tiny white specks constantly jumping and swimming around my tank, I believe they're Copepods but how could they have got in my tank? (no rock yet, the sand wasn't live)

Copepods are larger then Rotifers.

What have you added to the tank so far? Is it cycled yet?

Currently 4 small plastic plants, sand, a heater, and a filter are the only things I added. Oh and if I wanted to start a copepod culture would I need to heat the water?

And no. Im having a cycling stall so I'm picking up some rock and used filter media. Would I need to cycle the small tank I'm using to culture the Copepods? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom