Everythings bigger in Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Water?

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I'm Elise, from Ft. Worth, Texas.
We have recently remodeled our house (a big remodel). My husband wanted a built-in big screen Plasma, and I wanted a built-in big saltwater tank. I think I got the better deal. I had a custom wall of cabinets made for the tank and tv. That was a big project since I didn't know what I needed or how to do it. After alot of time arguing with our cabinet maker to build what I thought I needed, and alot of time worrying, it all came out great. I now know I should have put in more electrical outlets, I thought 6 would be good, but I can deal with that. The guys that set up my system told me the outcome was wonderful.
Oh, about my tank.
It's 4'w x2'd x30"h, 140 gallons, I wanted it big, but hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew for a beginner. It's been up and running for 2 months and everything is great (so far). I have added (not all at once)snails, hermit crabs, sandsifting starfish, pepperment shimp, some small coral, and 5 chromis fish. I'm having it servest every 2 weeks untill I know how to do it myself. I want to take it slow and hopefully avoid some of the big problems. That's where ya'll come in! I'll need all the help, and advice I can get for a beginner. Thanks

Last edited:
Better than me.. id never try tackling a saltwater tank LOL i care less if its 5 gallons or 500.. its not happening ROFLMAO Good luck with the tank and have a pleasent stay at AA!

welcome to AA. Lucky for you bigger tanks don't necessarily mean harder. With more water volume your water parameters don't change as fast as say a little 20gallon tank. Are you looking to do a reef or fish only?

I'm planing on a reef tank, but with a tank this size I hope I will be able to have some nice fish also. The one fish that is on my must have list is a blue spotted jaw fish. I would like to have 2, I understand that can be tricky. I have plan ahead, with creates under my larger rocks for support and a very deep sand bed. I need alot a info on this suject.

welcome aboard :wave: you'll get plenty of advice from very experienced ppl in the saltwater forums. plenty to read in the stickies and check out the articles section located on the top blue navigation bar. ask away on anything you don't understand and all we ask in return is lots of pictures !! :) (pictures not required but we love them) lol

Ahhh another Texan. We shall take over the board muahaha :D Welcome to the site ;)

LOL! Welcome to the site! I was born in Texas...looking to move back soon....

:DHey! I finally took some pitcures of my tank. I'm leaving to get a toadstool, blue stripe mushroom, and 2 black/white clowns. See ya

Attachments

• 100_0302.jpg
    100_0302.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_0304.jpg
    100_0304.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_0312.jpg
    100_0312.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0308.jpg
    100_0308.jpg