excessively cloudly water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
without my consent, my mother fed my tropical tank (tetras and south american fish) an excessive amount of tiny cichlid ball food, while the fish did get some, there was to much food and the cichlid staple crap sunk to the bottom, were even the ghost shrimp ignored them, and turned white, clouding the water. there was no word to describe the horror of knowing your going on vacation in a few hours, and your fish tank is excessivley chalky after you've kept it sparkling for weeks, only having time to change 15 gallon of a 55 gallon tank, i had to leave, but when i returned yesterday i did a 25 gallon pwc, but it was still cloudy, and then again today, out of excessive frustration i changed another 15 gallons, but my water is still chalky white (sorry i dont have any photos) and no it is not stuff growing on the glass, the water is actually cloudy.

and yes i know i shouldnt keep doing pwc so often, you'd have to be me to understand

has this happened to anyone, how do i correct it

thanks,
matt

Doing pwc's every day even twice a day will not harm your fish at all. Try adding some fresh carbon to the water and keep doing the water changes. Keep the lights off more than usual. I would do 50-75% a day myself.

I am with Anne on this one. I would change at least 50% everyday until it clears up. be sure to vacuum weel with each water change. Should get this back to normal quickly. Did you test your ammonia and nitrites?

no *sigh i dont have an amonia/nitrite test kit, i just go to petsmart to get it tested

maybe i should try more water changes then, but this things a beast, like the smell in jerry's car from seinfleld...

thanks for the tips

This is a simple bacterial bloom due to too much nutrients in the water. Keep changing water regularly, don't feed your fish for a week, and it will clear up.

Don't worry, your fish will be fine without food for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom