experienced cichlid keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry guys, I've been away for a while,, I'm sure there is other experienced cichlid keeps in this forum to answer questions while I've been away,, if there is any new questions let me know.. Happy cichlid keeping everyone

Its rather hard to high jack a thread were the topic is "ask for advice on keeping cichlids."

Kenyi are extremely aggressive Mbuna and a single specimen when it matures will claim an entire tank up to 100 gallons in size and begin systematically killing all other fish in the tank. They look nice, but IMO they belong in a very large species only tank.

Blue and Red Zebras are different species and you are creating hybrids by allowing them to interbreed. Just because the female reds are electric orange and the male blues are blue, doesn't mean the hybrids will be. You could end up with all OB hybrid offspring or some other result.

I disagree about that.. My kenyi is aggressive but almost all African cichlids are.. Mine is grown and is fine in community tank... People say not to mix peacocks with zebra s either but mine are great together... As long a every fish has its own area and caves they are fine... I rarely have fighting in my tank...

now my nitrite and nitrate seems to be moving. the PH is now 6.5, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 1.0, and nitrate is 40. is this considered a full cycle?

I would also work on getting that ph up if you are getting African cichlids which if i remember right you are... In nature three rift lakes have very high ph and i like mine around 8... Mine actually is at about 7.8 but since some are tank bread and Hardy it's not that big of a deal to make it exact the way nature is but ask your local fish store what they keep there's at and aim for that and gradually work it up.. Substrates will help raise it bit if you where keeping something like discus you would want a lower ph and peat moss in a nylon bag used like and along with carbon will help lower it... Try for your nitrite to be at zero because that should stay zero... Nitrate can have traces tho... Try for it to be lower... Good job on following through with the cycle... Not many people are patient enough... Great job waiting and it will be worth it... Honestly you could throw a Hardy fish in there now.. But it is recommend ed for zero across the board...

Also fellas thank you for being in this thread. When i started it i was hoping it would be used and not ignored... I've been away for a little but I'm back fo sho... Also I'm buying a 75 gallon bow front aquarium for sally water reef tank.. My first salt tank and I've been wanting one for a long time now and am very excited to start a reefer..

Back
Top Bottom