extra filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so my lfs guy told me to use the carbon with my planted tank . I have a aquaclear 70 I've noticed the bag of biomax really takes up little room if I can fit it in my filter could I use two sponges a bag of carbon and a bag if biomax if it'll all fit....just a question he said it would help with odors from a planted tank or should I just keep it like every one said fir meds and such....and us there a carbon substitute that does the same thing but last longer incase some of you say ti use the carbon

I would save the carbon for removing chemicals or meds. None of my tanks really smell. I added a few live plants in my 20g and it doesn't smell any different- I don't know why plants would make a difference in smell anyway.

Id put a sponge, biomax, and another sponge on top and save the carbon. I think it can remove things from the water column that are beneficial to plants. It gets loaded up in a few weeks anyways and becomes inert and only acts as mechanical and biological filtration

well im just putting my tank together and I've ran my driftwood threw the dishwasher four times now no soap lol...and soaked it for several hours if it leaks tannins wont the carbon help pull those out

Oh and poly-fill is a carbon substitute other members have recommended to me. I have No personal experience with it though

blizowman1 said:
well im just putting my tank together and I've ran my driftwood threw the dishwasher four times now no soap lol...and soaked it for several hours if it leaks tannins wont the carbon help pull those out

Tannins won't hurt anything. They are beneficial to some fish. Carbon will help remove it from the water but so will PWC.

The only smell you'll get is a bit of an 'earthy' smell. Similar to a non-flowering potplant. And that people keep with no problem.

I replaced my carbon with filterfloss and replace it every 2 weeks.

As for the tannins, its only temporary. Fish don't mind it, some actually prefer it. And pwc sorts it out very quick.

I noticed everyone keeps mentioning that carbon is a waste of money :(. I recently bought marineland diamond carbon for my girlfriend's. Instead of carbon, what I put in the filter instead to save money?

It is one of those filters where you connect an air pump and insert cotton and something else. I was told carbon.

Back
Top Bottom