fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a bit of misinformation in this thread. Bettas are like every other fish. They need clean water. Weekly water changes are a necessity to remove total dissolved solids and nitrate. The new water dilutes the nitrate and TDS and introduces vital minerals/buffers needed for stable water conditions, fish and plant health. The OPs tank is cycling she NEEDS to do daily water changes to dilute the ammonia and nitrite being built up in the small tank. Without this the Betta will be getting ammonia/nutrite burns to his gills.

Samirose said:
Saltwater does not even need changes that much and they have a harder blance to keep. Bettas have gills and don't need to like that...... Choice. This hobby is opinion. The choice is ours about water changes.

Salt water is a different beast all together. Water changes aren't the hobbyists choice to make. They are governed on the nitrate readings of the tank. Anything over 20ppm can start becoming detrimental to the fishes health.

They survive in worse water conditions than a tank. I think weekly can be over excessive, like I said it's opinion.

I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying water changes on any tank are your choice. Saltwater we do it maybe every two weeks if bad. But don't touch other wise say with fresh. However still choice.

Samirose said:
I'm not saying they shouldn't I'm saying water changes on any tank are your choice. Saltwater we do it maybe every two weeks if bad. But don't touch other wise say with fresh. However still choice.

I still have to disagree that it's not the aquarists choice as to whether or not to do one. Its a necessity for the health of the tank and fish. So if I feel like it I don't have to change the water on my tanks for 6 months?

Just not too much it's opinion too much kills as too less. My water was good and I need up moving, adding water so much that I didn't need one. My betta has never been sick.

6 months no 3/2 sure. But that's complete and barley part.

Each to there own but I think you'll find the vast majority of hobbyists (especially on this site) would agree weekly, 10days at the most, is needed. You can't do too many water changes IMO.

Too many and you loose beneficial bacteria. Also I would say divided on this site. In fact through observation it's alway will differ.

Just for future reference, the vast majority of beneficial bacteria is on surfaces such as gravel, decorations, and mostly in the filter. Very little is in the water, so it hardly effects the bacteria.

from what ive ready on several different sites they recommend weekly water changes at least for tanks at least 5 gallons or larger for the one gallon tanks they recommend twice a week i dont think some people realize the danger to the fish that the ammonia and toxicity of the water from the fish's own waste and uneaten food and other factors that contribute to the quality of the water not being what it should be. my betta has also suffered from minor fin loss and has alread regrown them because ive been so diligent about water changes and paying attention to him and his appearance and any changes... guess thats part of me bein a mommy lol

Back
Top Bottom