fancy goldfish poo problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
my fancy goldfish and my black moor are doing white, stringy poo. i feed them sinking tablets that are orangey-brown, so i am a little worried. i have had them for about 4 months now, so it cant be 'new tank syndrome'. i am sorry i can't give you tank parameters cos i don't have a test kit. i did a partial water change last week though.
thanks

Is the poo thin like a string? kinda mucous looking? It may indicate an internal infection.

However, a single white poop is nothing to worry about. If it persists, or if there are other symptoms, then we should investigate further.

For now, I would suggest feeding some veggies (say a couple blanched, skinned, chopped peas) to clear out the gut. Water parameters are always helpful, also tank specs - size, temp, etc.

Start doing weekly water changes. And make sure you have a filter that does 10 x gph for goldfish and those two need at least 30 gallons.
Good luck

hi guys, just thought i would let you know i fed my fishies some peas and that seems to have sorted them out! they seem happy again now. i will be doing a partial water change today as advised too.
thanks a lot!

the next step is to buy a proper sized tank for the goldfish, as i have now realised that goldfish need much more space than i thought. i feel so bad for keeping them in a little desk-top tank! am bidding on ebay for a much bigger one - fingers crossed!

Oh that is wonderful. I am sure they well be grateful. Good luck with winning a new tank.

new tank!

I WON THE NEW FISH TANK ON EBAY! collecting it next week, so my 2 little fancies will be moving to a 20 gallon long this summer! i was thinking of doing a planted tank... i have always had live plants in my tanks, but only a few. any ideas of what live plants would be good for the fancy goldfish? and how heavily planted would they like?
thanks xx

The plants depend on how much light you have. Goldfish in general will dig up plants and / or eat the leaves so go for hardy plants like anubias and make sure that they are anchored to something like driftwood. Java moss would work too of course, but its not the greatest looking plant.

Back
Top Bottom