Fantail Goldfish- Anal fins joined together and protruding to the left side, black sm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abzzy14s

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I'm a new fish keeper. Got my Fantail, Sushi around a month ago.
She had a black fin, which soon healed. She's in a 4.5 gallon tank, with frequent water changes. The ammonia levels are low. Around a week ago, I noticed black edges of her tail. And her anal fins, which I thought was a fin rip at first.
The black smudges keep increasing and,I don't know what to say about the anal fins.
Please help me, I'm very stressed. Have checked the water quality, haven't fed her for 4 days, fed her peas once.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have edited the picture so that it can be visible.
She has her dorsal, caudal and pelvic fins upright, but can't be seen in the pic because she was sleeping.

Attachments

• 1419761077437.jpg
    1419761077437.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 84
The Ammonia needs to be Zero, not low.

Please try to get her into a larger tank or Rubbermaid tub. At least 20g if possible.
GF don't thrive in tiny tanks.

The black could be a form of fin rot due to poor water quality or it could just be changing color on her fins.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419762483.048071.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1419762530.768923.jpg

You should read this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

Fancies can live 15+ yrs with good care including a big enough tank or tub or pond to reach full size.

Hope you can keep her healthy and get her into a better environment.

Ideal for now is a 20-40g tank with 80-160g of filtration.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope she gets better. I'll follow your advice right away.
The ammonia levels are low because the tank is still cycling.
Should I start feeding her?

I would feed her yes. But if it's flakes, soak them first.

Sinking pellets or organic veggies or greens using a Veggie clip are good.

Feed lightly, for now. For the fish's sake, keep changing water till Ammonia is zero. Just make sure to use Prime or dechlorinator before water goes in tank.

It will be almost impossible to keep the ammonia down in the tank not just because it cycling but also because goldfish produce so much waste that I'm sure the filter and the beneficial bacteria cannot keep up in such a small tank.

Don't throw out her current filter pad. When you get her new tank or tub put her old filter on it along with the new filter to help keep the beneficial bacteria going and introduce them into the new tank. You can also squeeze the old filter pad over the new filter to share the beneficial bacteria.

You can try buying some Anacharis plants and letting them float in the water, they will help soak up some of the ammonia and nitrates.

If she eats some, it's good for her.

Great!
I feel so satisfied. Thank you so much.
I'll fill you in on her progress.

Is 0.05mg/l Ammonia acceptable?

Is 0.05mg/l Ammonia acceptable?

No. That is the level that it begins to burn gills.

Should be in the safe zone if you are using the ammonia alert. Ideally 0ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom