Fantail Goldfish with Clear stringy poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R.eickmeyer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I just noticed that my fantail goldfish had a clear, stringy poop with what appeared to be clear bubbles attached to the top of it. I attached a picture of it when it was still attached to him. Now it's just floating at the top. What does that mean and what should I do? Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7,244
Might of been getting rid of air from gulping food at surface. If a one-off wouldn't be too worried.

If happening a lot, would go for sinking pellets.

Mines do that kind of poo sometimes and I am not worried as they are healthy and poo normally after eating as well

You need to de-worm your goldfish. Capallaria worms are common, and goldfish can get them as well as camallanus.
Prohibit makes Levimasole dewormer, it is the best wormer medicine on the market for pet fish.
Worm them monthly

You need to de-worm your goldfish. Capallaria worms are common, and goldfish can get them as well as camallanus.
Prohibit makes Levimasole dewormer, it is the best wormer medicine on the market for pet fish.
Worm them monthly

If your goldfish are in an aquarium I seriously doubt you have to worm them monthly.

Ideally I feel observations on fish need two signs. So one is the poop which is a good pick-up. And then - is it losing weight or gulping at surface or a one-off or a tank change like recently introduced fish /just changed food (ie just some other info to add to the picture).

If your goldfish are in an aquarium I seriously doubt you have to worm them monthly.
Thats for people with lots of fish and lots of turn around like me, i have 12 tanks of fancy guppies and im always buying more from stores and other people and selling to them.
If you dont worm your fish in this case, it would kill them all
Not saying he has to worm a few goldfish more than maybe twice, but chronic stringy poop is a sure sign of worms.

Ideally I feel observations on fish need two signs. So one is the poop which is a good pick-up. And then - is it losing weight or gulping at surface or a one-off or a tank change like recently introduced fish /just changed food (ie just some other info to add to the picture).

Ah right, this is the first time it's happened. Nothing has changed in a month, no new fish and food being the same. All fish fed this morning and haven't seen any hanging at the surface, will keep an eye on the situation, thanx

Sounds good. Might just be a minor upset tummy or something just pretty natural. I do feed mine a variety of pellets and frozen brine shrimp - maybe some food variety might be worth a try if it persists (assuming not already being done so to speak).

They are on micro pellets, I have frozen blood worm, I'll give them some tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom