Fast cycle restart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cizkaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a catastrophe with my water quality awhile back so I drained my aquarium and refilled it. It was previously cycled. After refilling the tank and reacclimating my fish I expected a long cycle to begin again. Day 2 my ammonia spiked to .5 on day 3 it was .25. My nitrites have remained at 0 the entire time. Today my ammonia is 0 my nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are somewhere between 40-80ppm (i say 40-80 because I see no describable difference in the colors for 40 and 80 on my test kit) Is it really possible since I never cleaned my filters or my substrate that it has regained its cycle in 4 days? Or that maybe I never lost my cycle?

There are experts on here that know better than I, but from what I have read the beneficial bacteria live on the substrate and in the filter media, so draining the tank for a short period of time will not effect them. That's why doing large water changes is not a major risk for your fish.

The bacteria don't live in the water column. They will only die if they dry out. They don't mind being starved for a few days. So if the filter remained wet, you're fine.

I have been fish less for two whole days and will potentially be fish less for another 10 days. Do I need to feed my bb or will they be ok till I get fish

If you made a water change and you instant got a ammonia spike, you should test the tap water for ammonia. Note that .25ppm ammonia is not that bad, fish can easily survive in these conditions, but harder for shrimps.

I have been fish less for two whole days and will potentially be fish less for another 10 days. Do I need to feed my bb or will they be ok till I get fish

Yes, their amount will go down until they have more ammonia. I keep my fishless QT tank cycled with my GF betta.

I would add ammonia (ACE Hardware has a janitorial with nothing else in it) and dose up to 2ppm daily to keep bacteria healthy until you get fish. I once heard of a fellow using urine to keep his tank cycled (just saying).

Crazy that I just read about that. It was talking about how the bb just want ammonia, they don't care about the source. I will be getting some ammonia today and hopefully a dropper and more test tubes-4 just isn't working well.

Yes, their amount will go down until they have more ammonia. I keep my fishless QT tank cycled with my GF betta.

I was wondering about using a betta to keep a QT tank cycled. But curious as to how? Do you move betta out while housing other fish or just put in tank separator? What is your process mrvincent?

I keep my QT tank uncycled. I have an extra sponge filter in 3 tanks so when I need a hospital or QT tank I simply move an already cycled sponge filter over. and

Back
Top Bottom