fat female swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two orange swordtails in my community tank, one male and one female. Recently, the female has gotten noticeably fat, and I'm not sure if she is pregnant or not. None of the other fish are getting fatter, so I don't think I'm overfeeding.

Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant?
If she is pregnant, what do I have to do? I've never dealt with this before.

In case it matters, my other fish are: 3 angels, 5 zebra danios, 4 cories, 1 oto.

Thanks.

The same thing happened to me. I had about 4 females and one male, and it turns out the he is pretty busy. They seem to have only one baby at a time, and if you have plants and other hiding places in you tank, the baby should survive.

She most likely is going to give birth soon.

What do you want to do with the fry? Do you want to try to raise them?

you will know she is pregnant if she has a black dot on her belly-if she is pregnent then the will be more than just one fry you could get more then sixty fry or as low as one fry. If you do hapen to get lucky then the angels will probably eat them unless they have cover. Love the fish in the tank though

If she's pregnant, she'll develop a dark gravid spot at the back of her belly. You may not be able to see it well on an orange fish.

If you want to keep the fry, you'll need a breeder net/container or another tank. They'll be fish food otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom