Favourite tetra and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattfinn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've been considering some tetras for my 23 gal high that's currently stocked with 2 mated GBRs, 4 cherry barbs and a very old harlequin rasbora. I recently lost my pearl gouramis to ICH and have been wanting to try and change it up a bit now that I've solved that problem. My favourite tetra is the Congo but I'd never be able to get them in a 23 gal.

So What's your favourite tetra?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congos are nice, but a bit territorial. I like brass tetras, sometimes called gold. I like the tiny blue eyed tetras and albino head light tetras

I love pristella tetras--very understated beauty so they don't take away from the "wow" factor of centerpiece fish like your GBRs. They are peaceful and hardy and don't get too large. Get a school of at least six of these little sweeties.

Attachments

• pristella-tetra.jpg
    pristella-tetra.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 129
I don't have any, but I know most people love rummynoses. If you have a good source, i believe there are yellow congoes, with stay smaller than normal congoes, but are similar looking.

Rummynoses remind me of a sports car to be honest haha, I love the pristellas I've never seen them before. Most lfs and chain stores stock congoes, neons, black widow, Rummynoses and serpaes.
Do black neons and regular neons school together with glow lights. I could always do a mix with 4 of each or so.

I love ember tetras, beuty in a tiny package.

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've always been partial to Emperor Tetras, but haven't seen any in years at the LFS. Might be a good thing ;)

Attachments

• emperor tetra.jpg
    emperor tetra.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 100
My favorite are Cardinal Tetras because of the way they look in planted tanks.

I like silver tip tetras and ruby red tetras.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Penguin Tetra= best Tetra

Colombians. Neon tetra color in a bigger package.

They kinda look a Siamese algae eater with their coloring and stripe down the middle. But yeah they seem cool. There are so many awesome tetras that I've never seen in my lfs. I had to ask them to order my german rams for me and they're a pretty common fish.

Penguin tetras are beautiful, but a 23 high is a bit on the small side for them. I think they need more space than neons, glowlights, lemons, pristellas and several of the others mentioned. To answer your earlier question about the similar species schooling together, yes and no. If there are small numbers of black neons, neons, and glowlights, they will group together at times. However, with a tank that small, all of these species will most likely be scattered throughout the tank most of the time. It takes a larger tank (40 breeder/55 and larger) to showcase schooling behavior--and then usually it's only when they are uncomfortable for some reason.

I love embers but have no idea where to get them, any ideas?

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Penguin tetras are beautiful, but a 23 high is a bit on the small side for them. I think they need more space than neons, glowlights, lemons, pristellas and several of the others mentioned. To answer your earlier question about the similar species schooling together, yes and no. If there are small numbers of black neons, neons, and glowlights, they will group together at times. However, with a tank that small, all of these species will most likely be scattered throughout the tank most of the time. It takes a larger tank (40 breeder/55 and larger) to showcase schooling behavior--and then usually it's only when they are uncomfortable for some reason.

Ok thank you yeah I know my tank isn't ideal my parents still think it's massive though and won't let me upgrade. I may just do a school of glow lights and black neons with 5 each. My tank is heavily planted IMO so I think they're be comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom