Feather Duster Sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VAguy39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a feather duster that I do not think is happy. He is actually coming out of his tube. I can see the worms body. He comes out to the point where I see about an inch of the worms body plus his crown. He has not blown his crown. Could he be hungry? I have not fed him anything special. I did read they like phytoplankton so I am going to get some of that today. Has anyone ever seen the worm come out like this?

Please describe the area of the tank the duster is in and water flow it's been placed in. Typically they will jump their tubes from excessive water flow, an irritation or as you already touched on, lack of food.

What do you add to the tank foodwise and what fish are in the 26 gal?

Cheers
Steve

Sorry I should have stated that this feather duster is in my 10 gal at my office. I only have a small clown in it. The tank setup is 10 gal with 15lbs LR, and about 2 inches of LS and one PH rated around 150 GPH I think. The duster was kind of in the flow of the PH but he moved himself there I did not place him in the flow. I did however just try to move him yesterday so I am pretty sure I disturbed him. He has since come out of his tube an is now curled up in a corner like a snake. His crown is still attached. Will he make a new tube? Will he die? Will the crabs eat him? I guess I should have left him alone. As for the tank all water levels look good and I do weekly 15% water changes with LFS RO water. Only other food that I put in the tank is to feed the clown. I did get some phytoplankton today to add for the duster.

thanks....

Well to be honest, I peronally don't like suggesting these kinds of creatures for nano's. They are strict filter feeders which leaves you little choice but to feed them with liquid additives. It can be all well and good in the beginning but if tank maintenance is not strictly controlled, water quality usually heads south pretty quickly. Have you added anything other than food for the fish?

If it's jumped it's tube it will grow a new one if it finds a new spot it likes and is not pestered by tank mates. The crab could be a concern, depends on the species. You can cover the exposed worm with sand but don't move it, let it find it's own place unless it's still directly in the path of the powerhead. Sounds like your first guess was more to the point, lack of food.

Cheers
Steve

VAguy39 said:
Only other food that I put in the tank is to feed the clown. I did get some phytoplankton today to add for the duster.
Sorry, missed this the first time around. It will help feed the duster somewhat but I would also suggest some Zooplankton which has a little more "meat" to it. You must be very careful of the amounts used though, it's like adding algae fuel.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve....maybe I will move him to my 26 Gal at home. I am also in the planning stages of a 75 Gal. tank so maybe he will end up in there if I can keep him alive long enough.

The crabs are just small hermits, a mix of red and blue leg. I have about a half dozen of them in the tank along with about as many snails.

It has little to do with species of crab for the most part, it's opportunity. The crabs will most likely leave the unprotected worm alone but are not above nibbling if they can. Just watch them, that's all.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom