Feather Dusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya Guys
I'm new to saltwater fish keeping but have kept tropical fish for 5 years.

I set up my saltwater tank a couple of weeks ago and 5 days ago I bought some live rock to start cycling the tank. When I purchased the rock it already had some pinky purpley colouring to it and some dark pink hard tubey bits which I haven't been able to identify yet. Last night i was looking at the rock and noticed a very tiny feather duster which decided to play peek a boo with me lol. i went to check the tank which i usually do before lights out and tonight found about 10 off them all on my rocks. Is it normal to find them so soon and will they survive being in the tank so soon? I've found loads of white tubes within my rocks, so i'm guessing there are hundreds!
Thank you for any replies.

im not a pro, im fairly new myself but from what ive found out here and read, yea, its normal to have the "mini" dusters on your LR I luckedand got a small dusterthat has groem quite a bit butit wasnt the normal white duster it was brightly colored with blue bands on it.. i dont think you have anything to worry about

Yeah, they are totaly good to have. They are filter feeders. When they are out, they are filteing, when they are in the are either hiding or consuming what they have caught. I have found quite a few difernt types on some of my rock.

Thank you. I just got a bit worried because the live rock has only been in my tank for 5 days and they have nothing to feed on.
Do you think I should go out and buy some plankton to put in the tank or just wait until the cycling process has finished?

i started seeing mine the day i put my LR in... now there are well over 200 of them... chamber 1 of my filter is completely covered in them.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom