Featherduster thingy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NimblyKimbly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have been a lurker from time to time on here, thanks for having such a great and informative forum!!

I have a 55 gal reef/fish aquarium with a canister filter and one of those hang-over-the-back filters. The whole thing has been set up for over a year now and has various critters that have either just shown up or have been bought. Currently we have a black percula clown (or what I THINK is one because s/he still has yellow on face and pectoral fins and is grown, I've heard they should be only black and white as adults??) that is about 3.5 to 4 inches, a gold and blue rabbitfish about 5 inches, a large starry blenny, a yellow phillipine dwarf tang??, a yellow and blue spotted watchman goby with pistol shrimp friend, and a little blenny (can't remember the name) that homes in a little hole in live rock. I also have a very large anemone (can't remember what kind either) for the clown, sun coral, tonga (I think) coral, polyps, mushrooms, toadstool anemone, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Anyway, on to this little guy I found recently when I moved and turned some of our live rock. What is it???? It looks like a featherduster and lives inside that white bulbous-looking thing in the pic, and has a little 'bell' (you can see in the pic too). I'm sure it's some sort of feather duster, but anyone know what kind and why it has a bell?? lol Never seen anything like it before!

Thanks, all, and I'm sure I'll be back with pics of other various weird things I've found but haven't seen yet in this ID forum...

Kimberly W.

Attachments

• featherdusterthing.jpg_434.jpg
    featherdusterthing.jpg_434.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
It is just a feather duster worm. Can't really help on specific species. You'd need photos of the body with mouth and ventral parts for a more exact ID. ;)

Welcome to the site!

Thanks, Fluff! Yeah, I figured it was pretty much a feather duster, but being one that I've never seen the likes of before (what's up with that bell?? lol) I thought maybe I could find out what kind. It's neat, but kinda weird.....

Kimbly

Personally, I've never seen one with a bell either but have seen that type of duster alot. Could be just about anything. Sorry I can't give you any specifics. Maybe someone else will be along soon that can help more. :)

Back
Top Bottom