feeding a puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
i need some advice on getting a porcupine puffer Diodon holacanthus to eat.

i have tried feeder fish, snails, bloodworms, brine shrimp, krill... but he just turns his nose at everything. i am afraid he will starve to death.

i should mention that i am the "fish guy" at my petco, so i know he is not in ideal condition to begin with...

any advice it keep this guy alive and happy would be great.

thanks!

I can't blame it for not eating, I wouldn't eat any of it either. Try shrimp (shell on), crab meat (leave some in shell), clams, bony fish (non-fatty/oily), and squid. You can entice with live ghost shrimp (enrich first).

I can't blame it for not eating, I wouldn't eat any of it either. Try shrimp (shell on), crab meat (leave some in shell), clams, bony fish (non-fatty/oily), and squid. You can entice with live ghost shrimp (enrich first).
i see.... my boss will love that...

like frozen shrimp from the grocery store?

i am in a bad place for fresh sea food, plus... $ out of my own pocket to feed store fish... i care, but still... i'm poor... otherwise i would set up a tank and buy him myself...:silly:

plus is is not that big..only 2 inches...

You shouldn't have to spend your money to purchase food for your workplace. You can purchase fresh shrimp and the others I mentioned from a grocery store as long as they are preservative free and raw, but most businesses purchase through a commercial venue, which is what your workplace should be doing.

You shouldn't have to spend your money to purchase food for your workplace. You can purchase fresh shrimp and the others I mentioned from a grocery store as long as they are preservative free and raw, but most businesses purchase through a commercial venue, which is what your workplace should be doing.
umm... yeah... PETCO remember... evil empire... they don't buy crap more then cheap flakes... if i was not there that is all they would be trying to feed him... and the lionfish, and the snowflake eel.....

it is sad having more fish knowledge then everyone else in the store and district managment combined. (i know cause i met the district "Fish expert" today) :n00b:

Then perhaps you should not be working there if they are unwilling to comply to proper animal care.

Then perhaps you should not be working there if they are unwilling to comply to proper animal care.
yes.... but then i would be dooming the fish... so does not really solve my problem does it...

so no suggestions with what i have to work with? there must be options that does not involve a trip to the sea food store. are you telling me that the large warehouses that provide the fish to the store is actualy puting in the time feed them squid and crab... then putting them in a box and shiping them FedEx?

Yes, wholesalers will feed the fish specific diet mashes if they cannot ship fast enough or delays occur in processing. I believe Petco sells various brands such as San Francisco Bay and Ocean Nutrition so try them out and see what works. If your company isn't willing to provide correct food and you do not want to purchase via your own funds (I wouldn't), then sell fish at a faster rate lol. Seriously, you don't really have alternatives to play with.

James, would snails work? I know puffers need hard stuff to chew on to keep their "teeth" from growing too large.

Depends on the puffer honestly. Try fiddler crabs, hermit crabs, or crayfish instead if ghost shrimp don't work.

Back
Top Bottom