Feeding bloodworms with a floating cone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to feed my neons and guppies the blood worm with a cone but it seems that they won't go near it! I thawed the blood worm in tank water first then put the cone in the tank stuck to the side of the tank with a sucker. They go nearish to it but won't feed, they are all healthy and ate the bloodworms that fell out of the cone but won't feed from the cone! My question is, how long can I leave the bloodworms in the tank before it messes with the water parameters? And, is it something they will eventually get used to it? I only feed bloodworms once every month

I've never used a feeding cone, just thawed the bloodworms in a net and dumped it. I have always kept various catfish species for bottom clean up duties. I'm guessing that bloodworms
resting on the bottom will rot quickly. I'd vac it up before the end of the day. I few Cory cats will make short work of left over bloodworms.

I always thawed mine in a dixie cup and used toothpick to put them in the tank. That way you can just throw everything away when you're done. Once I got bigger fish and more catfish, as mentioned, the problem with excess went away! :)

I've started feeding live blackworms from the cone. My tiger barbs love them! But they also would wait until they fell out of the cone. Now, they do approach the cone and will peck at it.

I also feed them frozen bloodworms by dropping the frozen block straight into the water. They attack without mercy, its like a pinata for them. 21 TBarbs attacking and I don't think I've ever seen a worm make it to the bottom, or a cube last more than 2 minutes.

I tipped the bloodworms into the tank after an hour and a clump stayed on the bottom for about another hour! When I did a water change, I cleaned up what was left of them ( which was still quite a bit) i only used the cone to keep the tank more tidy and easier for the fish to get as they don't really graze on the substrate, I suppose they will get used to it in the end

Just thaw in a cup and add only a small amount and refreeze the rest instead of tossing them.
I use the ring from my cone to hold moss in place on the surface. In that application I am really pleased !

Oh I didn't put the whole cube in, I put in maybe 1/4 of one and have 14 fish altogether

Back
Top Bottom