feeding fish vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, peas. I don't think I would put tomato or most any juicy fruit in. Just seems messy to me.

Cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, peas. I don't think I would put tomato or most any juicy fruit in. Just seems messy to me.

how do u feed them these? fresh? frozen? cooked? yes im a duh, lol sorry :n00b: to this

Cucumbers, and zucchini you cut to reasonable size, blanche and serve with a veggie clip or tie to an ornamanet with fishing line or sewing thread. Peas you nuke for a few seconds peel the skin and feed directly to the tank. Cabbage and lettuce you tie down and feed as is. I also feed canteloupe and honeydew melon without blanching and of course removing the seeds. I use veggie clips, as they are easier with multiple tanks.

A veggie clip is basically a plastic clip on a suction cup. Most of the LFS sell them. Ask and they should be able to show you where they've got them hidden.

I use my mag float as a veggie clip. Poking an old fork into the veggie and dropping it in works too.

Two separate concepts. Either use the mag float as a clip which is what I do. I stick the edge of the veggie between the two sides of the mag float.

You can take a fork (metal) stick it in the cut veggie and put it in the tank. Obviously the fork sinks as will the veggie piece stuck on it. problem with this one is your going to get wet getting the fork back out.

Two separate concepts. Either use the mag float as a clip which is what I do. I stick the edge of the veggie between the two sides of the mag float.

You can take a fork (metal) stick it in the cut veggie and put it in the tank. Obviously the fork sinks as will the veggie piece stuck on it. problem with this one is your going to get wet getting the fork back out.

but is the fork ok to be put in there I never use anything that has been washed with soap, Maybe im to worried lol

If it's not water change day or maintenance day, I just don't want to get my hands wet! 8O

I went to a sporting-goods store and got some very thin nylon fishing line and some very small weights to put on the fishing line. I cut a long length of the fishing line, poked it through the food (you may have to poke a hole through the food with a fork or knife first). I then strung a weight onto the nylon line beside the food. Drop the food/weight into the tank and let it sink. You'll still be holding the other ends of the fishing line. Use clear scotch tape to stick the line to the side of the tank or to the rim. When you're ready to remove the remnants of the food (about 24 hours later) you can just pull up on the fishing line and not get your hands wet in the tank.

but is the fork ok to be put in there I never use anything that has been washed with soap, Maybe im to worried lol

The fork wont hurt anything.

Great idea Deb. I never worry about getting wet, I manage to get my hands in the tank just about every day one way or the other.

LOL, I guess I'm wimpy in that way! Sometimes I make my husband pull the internal filter out (I ask him to open it because I can't, so he might as well pull it out too!)

i put some cucumber in and also some spinach as i heard they like this too, but they dont seem interested in it, i was hoping my plec would come out for a nibble because he's always hiding.

I'm a little confused. I have seen threads before on this site about people feeding veggies to fish. Is this something you do for variety or do certain fish need to be fed veggies? I always thought you buy a can of Tetra-Min and that's all I'll need. If a fishes diet is more complex than this can anybody recommend a book or site to bone up on this? :confused:

I'm a little confused. I have seen threads before on this site about people feeding veggies to fish. Is this something you do for variety or do certain fish need to be fed veggies? I always thought you buy a can of Tetra-Min and that's all I'll need. If a fishes diet is more complex than this can anybody recommend a book or site to bone up on this? :confused:

I am with u lol I thought just the flakes and maybe some frozen blood worms or brime shrimp, but I am reading that they like it I guess for a treat?.............. can we just feed them just the flakes and so on, or do they need veggies?

Variety is good for all fish. You can acheive this by feeding a variety of prepared foods for many fish. Certain fish (generally herbavores) really enjoy having their diet supplemented with fresh veggies.

Back
Top Bottom