Feeding Frenzy! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently I acquired four Peppered Corydoras and have the in my 29 Gallon a long with 6 Bloodfin Tetra, an Opaline Gourami, a Red Tail Shark, and a Kulie Loach.. yes I know a pretty decent Bio-Load but I have plants and keep up with water changes regularly. Anyway that's not the problem.

The problem I have is feeding. I have Shrimp Pellets and Algae wafers for the bottom feeders a long with some other stuff. Anyway the problem I'm having is when I drop the algae wafers in the Gourami and the Tetras go into a feeding frenzy and take the wafer and toss it around not letting the bottom feeders get a shot at it. It looks like a huge dog pile of tetra, catfish and a big gourami it's crazy.

Now I'm trying to make sure my bottom feeders are eating right.... So I attempted to feed flake on the surface at the other side of the tank so that the other fish would go for that while I sneak the algae wafer in... didn't work they finish the flake and make a bee line straight for the wafer even before the bottom feeders can find it.

Anyone have any advice I'm out of ideas.

Try feeding the sinking foods right after lights out. That may give them a better chance.

Try feeding sinking food when the tank is dark. Maybe difficult and who wants to feed in the middle of the night.
More than likely the bottom feeders are eating enough and the tetras are getting too much. Those bottom dwellers cruise around all day eating scraps the other fish missed.

Thanks I'll give it a shot =). I love these forums always quick and good advice.

Back
Top Bottom