Feeding fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am breeding platies and guppies. I was wondering what I should feed them. I know there is multiple different things. I just don't what they are. Any help would be appreciated.

I feed my fry hikari micro pellets and they love them. They are sold at most LFS. You could also just grind up regular fish flakes until they are really tiny and give them that.

Ok thanks. Also I have multiple females that couldn't pregnant. Can I put her on the breeding trap with other dry or will she eat them.

She will more than likely eat them. It wouldnt be a bad idea to invest into a small 3 or 5 gallon aquarium if you really want to get into breeding fish.

Ok thanks. I wouldn't need a filter in the dry rank would I? Because ink is of a 2 gallon cube I could by but there is no filter.

Ok thanks. I wouldn't need a filter in the dry rank would I? Because ink is of a 2 gallon cube I could by but there is no filter.

I would suggest a filter but you wouldn't need a heater if you keep track of the water temperature closely and add hot/cold water whenever needed. It would be ideal to have a filter and heater though.

If you use a sponge filter you won't need to worry about the fry getting sucked up. They're relatively inexpensive as well. Just run the sponge filter in your main tank for a while to build up bacteria, then when you need to put fry in another tank it already is full of beneficial bacteria and you can just move it in there.

But what of the fry. Would they get sucks up on the filter?

Well at Petco, they sell these little sponges things that you can put overtop of the part of the filter that sucks in water and it just slips on and off and it's only like $3. That's what I use for my fry. I haven't had one get stuck yet.

Ok thanks everyone for the help.
Or you could use ladies tights, the cheap one's. They can also be used on your siphon when your doing water changes. They have to be NEW. Quick rinse in warm tap water and your sorted..Very cheap, very effective and no cleaning...

Ok that sounds like a great idea. Now I have heard some people feed the fry boils egg yolk. How does that work for here small mouths.

Back
Top Bottom