Feeding Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThangaMean

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I've 2 Orandas with little over 1-1/2 inches in body length, not including tail - they weigh 24 gms and 21 gms each. I think I'm feeding them too much. I'm not sure how to measure. What I read so far is to feed them what they can eat in 2 mins. The issue here is whatever I feed they just fill up their mouth and munch for a while. If I feed couple of pellets at a time, they just take it in their mouth and munch. When I feed them again after they finished they again go for it. Can someone let me know how to feed the right amount?

Attachments

• IMG_20150303_190216.jpg
    IMG_20150303_190216.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 92
Depending on the pellet size, I would feed them a couple pellets 3 times a day or so.

I've Hikari mini, it looks like that itself is big for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've Hikari mini, it looks like that itself is big for them.

Yep, then I would feed like 2 to 3 pellets multiple times per day. My oscar does the same thing.. will suck up a bunch of pellets and chew them while spitting half of them out as shredded bits through his gills.....

Great thanks for your response. But the Goldie's don't spit any, they just gobble everything.

If you have the means to weigh your fish then it's easy to figure out what to feed them. For juvenile/conditioning for breeding fish, you want to feed approximately 2-3% of their body weight in staple food, spread through out the day in small meals. So, for example, your 24g fish should be fed @.72g of food a day plus veggies. Then weigh them monthly and adjust their food accordingly. As adults, you want to feed a bit less- around 1% of their total body weight. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for the info. I tried to weigh the food, but the kitchen scale I've does not go below 1 gm. I think I should weight in 1 gm and split it. yeah will do that. Thanks.

They look healthy and in great colour so you must be doing something right

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

They look healthy and in great colour so you must be doing something right

Yeah I'm taking things slowly, reading a lot. I love this hobby, keeping me engaged. :)

Yeah its addictive once you get started. I started with a 29gallon. Now 119gallon. Its ridiculously addictive but fun.

Back
Top Bottom