Feeding help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomxiong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just ordered four electric blue Jack dempseys and their all around 1 to 1.5 inch but they just don't seem to want to eat , I have them placed in two three way breeders so their always at the surface for food but when I feed them They WONT eat! I'm scared they might die from starvation!.. What can I do. PleAse help.

why do you have them in breeder boxes? They are likely stressed in there, which is one reason why they won't eat. They can also take time to get accustomed to their new home. How long have you had them?

I've only had them for about eight to ten hours. They just finally are kind of swimming around after this whole time. The water chemistry is set perfect for Jack dempseys but not to sure why they won't eat. The divider is only there because the tank is. A 55 gal and since the home is new to them I don't want them to never know to come up for food becuase their so small, I want them to get acustommed to the tank and my feeding secrdule before releaseing.... But they just don't want to eat. You think I should wait again for tomoorrow to feed them and see If they wil eat?

I would get them out of the breeding trap and just let them get settled in. Just be patient, try not to have too much movement around the tank.

When I first got my EBJD it took 3 or 4 days before I actually saw him eat anything.

One thing you can do is just place food in a certain area and then check it every now and again to see if htey eat it. Get something like thawed bloodworms, live grindal worms, etc and it'll help entice them to eat more than some flakes or pellets will.

i agree..take the divider out...they like to move around a lot..especially once they've settled in

with cichlids i dont think you should worry about them finding the food..mine were like that when i first got them..now everytime i go near the tank or even turn the light on at night they assume i'm coming to feed them....

OkAy. Thanks guys, I will follow your guys advice and report backwith in two-three days. :)

it worked!!! my EBJDs are eating and happily swimming now! thanks for the advice

Remember fish can go up to 21 days without eating.

But Im glad to hear all is well.

Back
Top Bottom