Feeding Hippopus Clam in 10-gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donteatthenano

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was recently given a ~2" Hippopus clam and was wondering about feeding. I currently supplement my 10-gallon tank with a product called Phytoplex, about 15 drops every three days (This supplementing took place before the clam-addition). My baby opened up fully the first day and started to make itself comfortable in the sandbed. My question is: Should I up my dosing? I assume that I would, but I'm unsure of how much would be an appropriate amount. Are there any suggestions from the clam experts, possibly another food supplement? Thanks in advance.

Jason

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Phytoplex is "okay" but you would honestly do better with live cultures or if available LiquidLife's Bioplankton. Feeding more than twice a week in such a small tank is also not really neccessary and too much will add to unwanted algae growths.

The hippopus typically does best on the substrate but placement greatly depends on it's coloration. Brown usually means it will be fine on the substrate given you have PC or other higher intensity lighting. If it has a decent amount of color, then the zooxanthellae will need supporting much more and the clam may need higher placement depending on lighting.

For a 10 gal tank, supplimentation over and above regular weekly water changes probabley will not be needed. If that does not keep up with the CaCO3 demand, a two part liqiud ionic compound would work best. Always remember if you do not test, do not add. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom