Feeding my oto's and CAE...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo2713

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I feed them peas, do I need to get special peas or can I just get canned peas or a bag of frozen peas? Also, what else can I substitute their diet with besides algae wafers?...Thanks for the help as always

I don't feed mine peas (I should though, and might start). But from what I have heard, the type should not matter, but you will want to nuke them to soften them up and then squeeze out the inside and throw the outside away.

I would be wary of canned peas what with preservatives and such. I use frozen. They LOVE them!!

I use frozen peas, because they don't turn to "mush". I microwave the frozen peas for 4 minutes, peel and discard the skin, and feed the "meat" of the pea. I cut the pea up so that it's the same size as my fish's pellet food, and they eat it quickly! If the piece is too big, the fish will spit it out, struggle with it for awhile, or it will just fall to the bottom.

Otos need to be constantly feeding, or "grazing", to be healthy and happy. You can supplement their algae wafers with zucchini or spinach. Here is a link: http://www.otocinclus.com/feeding.html If you want to read the rest of the article, click on "Back to Main" at the bottom of the feeding page.

Will the "meat" of the pea sink when you throw it in there, or do they come and snatch it from the surface? I think I will try sticking some zucchini in the bottom and see how they like that...

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear :oops: I was thinking of my bettas and not your otos/cories.

The "meat" of the pea will sink if it's big enough. (frozen peas will; I just find that canned peas turn to mush if you try to cut them). You should cut the pea to the size of the fish's regular food and that way they should accept it. If your fish is a surface eater, like my bettas, then the small piece I cut for them floats. If I cut it too big, it falls, and bettas don't catch falling food well. For your otos and cories, you could let the pea fall, where they are more comfortable eating it. Try letting the pea split in half where it naturally divides, and let each half fall, and see how your fish do with that size.

Zuchini I've heard is well liked too and the advantage of it is you don't have to peel it! (Or at least it's easier to peel) Jeff

Well....I threw in the zucchini and all 3 of my otos and CAE went NUTS!!!!! They love it :mrgreen: Wish I had my camera with me to take a pic. All 4 of them on there at the same time is a sight to see. The CAE was taking up too much room so my oto that has only 1 eye started sucking on the side of him. Do I need to peel off the dark green "skin" of the zucchini? Also, how long should I leave it in there? I have heard anywhere from 12 hours to 3 days. Thanks for the help guys/gals...

I am interested too in how long people keep their aubergine under water.
Also, do people nuke it first? Jeff

At first I tried putting it in the bowl of water and it floated. I then proceeded to nuke it for about 1 minute then it became soft and sank. So yes, I nuke it. Makes it easier for them to chew on. Still waiting for my answer peeps. Come on....:)

I pulled it out this morning and the thing was completely gone except for the outer skin and the seeds attached to it. HUGE SUCCESS

I keep veggies for my otocinclus' for a day or so. I found out that after a day the flesh become so soft they become a little difficult to clean. I mean, if there's anything left. Oh, and I usually do cucumber and zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom