Feeding new Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been searching my LFSs recently looking for a good looking Flame Angel to add to my tank. This search has been going on for about 2 months now and 2 days ago I finally found 1!!! It is a great looking specimen from the Christmas Islands which is where I've heard the better Flames come from. His coloration is beautiful and he has lots of energy and is very alert.

The LFS that I got him from had received him the same day that I purchased him. I figured it was better to get him right into my QT then let him sit in those tanks and possibly get diseases or parasites that might be in their system. I acclimated him for just over 2 hours and released him.

I know it is only the second day, but he hasn't eaten anything yet. All I have tried is some frozen mysis soaked in Zoe and garlic as well as clipping some Nori to a clip in the tank. He has showed no interest in either but is very active and swimming in the tank.

So, my question is (i know, i'm getting to the point) how long should I wait before I get concerned and how often should I attempt to feed him? Typically I check to make sure the fish is eating in the LFS before purchasing, so this is usually not an issue.

Thanks!!!

tripper

I don't know if getting him the same day the lfs got him was a great idea. I don't think I would worry too much just yet, but the fish has gone through a lot of stress and travel lately.

I also try to buy my fish before the LFS adds them to their tanks. A bit less stress for the fish if it can go from shipping to my QT. I get a 20% discount but no warrenty when I do this. Give your flame a couple more days to settle in. This is not an uncommon problem. If, after a couple more days, it is still not eating we can try some other options.

I will keep an eye on him and see how it goes. I think he took some of the nori last night, but it's hard to tell. He still looks great and active so i'm not too concerned yet. I will post again if he starts to look bad.

tripper

i had a coral beauty that didnt make it through QT, but when he was not sick and was eating he would wait for the nori to break up and then pick it off the power head input screen. he seemed to prefer grazing. he would also eat formula 2 flake

steve r

My new flame angel began eating algae off the rocks within half an hour after being placed in my main tank. Yours may just need some more time. Good luck, they are a great looking fish

I've had my flame for 7 months now, and when I first got him he didn't eat for 3-4 days. Once he got comfortable with the environment, he started eating. He is still the shyest one of the bunch, but he has come around. Give it some time.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom