Feeding Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anybody feed with the lights off?
Seems the Cories and Pleco like night feeding and the mid and top feeders dont hunt the bottom for food letting the bottom feeders eat in peace.

i do feed a snack an hour before lights out then an hour after thats when my tank comes alive with activity

I don't know much about plecos, but I know that corys eat mainly by feel, not sight, so you can feed them a few minutes before you turn off the light at night.

Whoa. That rhymed.

My Cory's get a random combination of shrimp pellets, sinking wafers, algae wafers and NLS Thera+ 1mm pellets twice a day. I don't have to feed them lights out.

The guppies and quarter-sized angelfish that cohabit the tank all eat right along with them, which I don't mind, because my angelfish refuse to eat flakes as a staple, so they get their variety by being fancy-faced bottom feeders. I find it fascinating to watch all of them sit in the corner sharing a meal. The more intelligent (or lazy) angelfish sit above the group and pick off bits that float up from the Cory's aggressive eating. All they were eating prior was frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. They wised up and started eating the food off the bottom that was intended for the Cory's after I fasted them off the frozen stuff. Fasting failed to get them to eat the flakes where I was giving them just a little bite of flakes after 2 days of starving them (which they spit out), but they started eating off the bottom, so I gave up on flakes for now. I'll try again later when they get older.

In the meantime, every fish gets more than enough food. The mid to top dwellers can't eat pellets in one bite because they're all small, so they all slowly pick at the food until it's gone. If I had bigger fish that could swallow their wafers and pellets whole, then I guess my experience would be different.

My Eclipse Catfish and my pleco only eat at night. I've never fed them during the day. They find food perfectly and my catfish is always fat! Lol

All of my so-called nocturnal species are very active during the day. I never feed after lights out. I want to enjoy the action. ;)

I have a featherfin cat that always hid. He would scavenge at night. But then, I experimented with the food.

I would take a little tank water in a cup, splash a little Garlic Guard in there, and soak the food for a minute. Then, I'd dump the food in so that the filter flow would carry it throughout the tank. Apache would come racing out to feed! It seemed he didn't like having to be close to the other fish to feed, but when the food scattered, he'd be able to eat without feeling crowded.

A few days of doing this method, and now he comes out whenever I approach the tank.

Try it. ;)

Mine is only 3.5" but he has grown a lot since I've got him. Catfish are my favorite fish by far! Can you post a pic of yours?

Don't want to drift any further off topic here, but will try to remember to post a photo somewhere in the near future. ;)

Back
Top Bottom