Feeding yoyo loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to make sure my yoyo loaches are getting enough to eat so what are some different things to try with them? I keep seeing them burying their heads in the sand and they are getting something because I can see them moving their mouths but I could be wrong I reckon. I have been trying brine, blood worms, and flakes. I havent seen them actually eat any of this so thats why I am worried. So I just want to know what else to try. Any suggestions? Thank you! Oh I also had some omega one algae wafers but I just ran out and I didnt see them touch those either.

I also have a lot of different snails and different sizes in my tank and havent seen them touch them...yet...lol

Oh my one more question....I am going to be changing my sand to gravel but should I leave some sand somewhere for them or is the gravel a bad idea? :/

I have 3 good sized Yo-yo's in a planted 220g and they were quite little when first aquired. It took some time for them to get the snail thing down. With mine it took one to figure out how to eat them and then the others seemed to catch on. Plus I had common pond snails and they have very thin easy to open shells. Mine, even tho they are 3+ inches now don't mess with my MTS's at all and have given up trying to get nerites out of their shells so it just depends on the individual yo-yo's ability or desire to eat snails and which type of snails they may or may not eat.

As for feeding my loaches favorite food is actually soften, de-shelled, slightly smashed peas. They go nuts for them and I usually feed the tank peas 2x a week. Mine actually eat just about anything but my staple food is New Life Spectrum Thera-A. Then usually once a week they either get frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.

Loaches have one thing on their minds.... eat, eat, and eat some more! They constantly root around in the substrate as you have noticed. As for changing to gravel... only do it if it is a very small size, loaches love the sand and it is so easy for them to dig in. And it's easy on their barbels.

Thank you guys! Do you think it could work if I left half of the tank with sand? Like towards the back? And I have pond snails ramshorn apple snails and trap door snails so they have a variety to try out it they like :) But I will just keep on trying different foods and will try the peas! None of my other fish will even look at peas :/

I have 3 yo yo's as well. They need variety. Small pellets, algae wafers, fish flakes and even frozen shrimp/bloodworms. They generally only go after juvenile snails. Open your lid when they come up to the top and feed. If you hear the odd clicking sound you know they are eating. :) As for changing from sand to gravel, I don't see an issue as mine all happily dig in gravel.

Just as a general rule, fish with barbels shouldn't be in with gravel, many people do it but it really isn't ideal for their health as it can damage their sensitive feelers which helps them find food. As someone else said, loaches do eat, eat, and eat some more so having half sand probably wouldn't work well because they'd be on the gravel side too and because more food particles get trapped in gravel I would expect to see them on that side more actually. Why would you want to switch to gravel anyway if you don't mind me asking? Sand is so much cleaner

I agree, they live to eat. I wouldn't be concerned just because you don't physically see them eating. My loaches will also eat blanched zucchnini, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, blood worms, and flakes. I have not had mine eat snails yet. I agree that I think it's something they often catch on to once they get a bit of size of them.

I wouldn't worry about it yo-yo's are very adept at finding any food in the tank, mine is so adept at finding food he's earned himself the name "fat bastard" since when he rests on the bottom he rocks side to.Fidel on hid round belly

Thank you guys for all the ideas and help! I just hate my black sand!! I seee everyything laying on it and have to clean it constantly. Thats why I wanna switch

Have you thought about mixing a white and gray sand? I did that to make a fairly natural looking color and the detritus doesn't stand out as much. I just think sand is healthier for your fish for many reasons and especially for barbel fish, but it is definitely your decision and your tank, do what makes you happy with it

for what it's worth my yo-yo is in a tank with Eco -complete and does just fine, he roots in it all the time and has no damage to his barbels

Thank you guys for all the answers! I think I might just pick up some very small gravel (almost sand buttt nott quite) and see how I like it...if not back in the sand will go!! I must love making my life harder :) And I think maybe someone has been snacking on snails at night I have a few empty baby trapdoor snails and some empty ramshorn so I guess its har to say at this point! I need to pick up some zucchini for my otos and some more algae wafers so maybe they will try them out as well!

As for peas... I use frozen. You don't need many. I put a few, usually 10 for my 220g since all the fish in there eat them, add some hot tap water, cover the dish with saran wrap and nuke in microwave for 30ish seconds (some frozen peas take longer to soften than others so you'll have to see how yours cook), drain off water, de-shell them (you can just squeeze and pop the pea out of the shell or poke the shell with a knife tip and then squeeze them out), smash them some with your finger (they seem to be able to eat them better when smashed), then add to tank. When first trying these only add a couple at a time to see if the fish are going to eat them. Some take to them straight away and others have to be offered them a couple times before catching on that it's food. If they go after the first couple peas you can add more. All my fish love peas not just the loaches.

Yeah my goldfish are the only one interested in peas...but I am pretty sure I could give them anything and they eat it :) I am gunna try again an see if I cant get some fish to eat some other stuff!!

Well I fed some brine and some blood worms last night...the one loach went crazy eating!! I am so relieved...but the other still isnt eating at all and its just getting thinner while the others getting thicker :/ It ate a few flakes but that was it. I even tried putting the stuff right in front of its face but it just sat there...The one that ate is VERY active today

Back
Top Bottom