feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read that website a lot,everyday i learn something new.Right i a a little confused.In many other posts you guys trying to help others and sometimes you mention that you feeding your tank 3,4 times a week.Is that true?So i have 90.gal tank with somne corals and naso,clown,diamond goby.I feed corals once a week,with coral vite coral exel,and others vitamins.Is that o.k.Corals doing great<pictures on tank showcase>But my fishes i feed every day,sometimes twice a day.Not 3,4 times a week.That will be not enaugh?.Right.I feed them with some flakes,pellets,mysis shrimps soaking in garlic or selcon.But i just want make sure that i should feed them every day.Right?Thanks!!!!!:p

I feed mine every other day. I feed on the off days Seaweed selects for my tangs. It really comes down to how much you feed them. Overfeeding is one of the biggest reasons for bad water quality and algea problems.

I think the 2 to 3 times a week refers to "special" food, like nori for tangs (along with regular feeding, to supplement their specific diets). Or target feeding certain corals and few times a week. I feed my fish every other day.

Last edited:
Other than humans, most animal life does best (longer life span) on a 30% restricted caloric intake. That means feeding the fish every 2 -3 days not 2-3 times per day. The only place I have seen that advice in on pre-packaged food. They want you to overfeed the tank and use more product.

I have been feeding the fish every 2-3 days for the past 3 years and they are doing quite well. Of course the mandarin eats whatever it wants whenever it wants (all day, every day).

I feed my tanks every other day. Keep in mind, it is about quality, not quantity. If you feed good quality foods along with dietary suppliments (like garlic, Selcon, Vita-Chem, DT's, ZooMax, etc.) feeding less often will be just fine. If you happen to keep grazers like tangs or angels then the addition of seaweed or nori on a daily basis may also be needed.

I agree with you guys with the acception of one fish. Most if not all Anthias do better with daily feedings. They are big eaters and I have read that they really do need daily feedings to do well. I know that Mike has anthias in his tank and feeds every other day so I guess there are exceptions to everything.

I have dispar anthias. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I feed them 2x/day during the week and 3x/day on weekends. I don't recommend feeding this often unless you are willing to really stay on top of your water parameters. A big skimmer helps too.

I think there are always a cases that differ and you have to use your judgement as well as what is best for the fish you have. Over feeding is usually the cause of water quality issues. As Cmor said a big and also a quality skimmer makes a huge difference.

Back
Top Bottom