Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
How often do you all feed your fish, and when you do, how much do you feed them? How did you figure out how to feed them?

I have a 40 gallon tank with 3 silver dollars, 2 moonlight gouramis, a honey gourami, an angelfish, a Mickey Mouse wag, a school of glowing neons and neon tetras, 2 albino cories, and two betta fish (M/F).

I think I may be overfeeding them. I give them a couple pinches of food twice per day, and also add bottom feeder or algae tablets every other day. Is this too much? I'm wondering because I saw in one of the algae threads that overfeeding can exacerbate brown algae. And obviously I don't want to feed my fish to death.

Do you think I'm overfeeding? All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

I think you're fine. I also feed twice a day. Many people feed once a day, or even every other day. I feel bad if I don't feed twice a day. However, if I miss a feeding I'm not worried.

I feed what my fish can eat in a couple minutes, and I make sure all of my fish eat (I have some skinny fish that I want to make sure eat.).

I made a feeding thread a while back, I'll try to look it up.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/lets-clear-up-confusion-about-fish-feeding-127890.html

There ya go!

Every other day, half an algae wafer a couple of times per week to supplement for the shrimp. But they're lazy bums and hardly do their jobs...

Mine get flakes in the morning before I leave for work and frozen brine shrimp and algae wafers after a PWC.

I think you're fine. I also feed twice a day. Many people feed once a day, or even every other day. I feel bad if I don't feed twice a day. However, if I miss a feeding I'm not worried.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I do feed twice daily and none of my fish are obese or whatever. They all look healthy and normal in size. Now my snail tank . . . I feed the snails (31 of them) about 10 freeze-dried shrimps and 4 algae wafers every 2-3 days. The snails seem to be growing like weeds, so I guess they're getting enough nutrition.

About bettas . . . in the other thread you linked to there was discussion of betta bites - should I be feeding my bettas special food? I had never heard of this, so I'm curious. I've just been feeding the bettas tropical fish flakes (Nutra-Fin). What ingredients are in betta pellets that isn't in regular fish food?

Thanks for your help, corrado33 - I really appreciate it :)

I feed my albino Cory catfish 1 hikari bottom feeder wafer every other day and my betta a mixture of tetrabetta flakes and pellets. I feed my betta 1 flake 1 pellet once a day. I have to take my betta out when I feed the cories because she won't let the cories eat and hogs it all. And I assume my mystery snail eats the food that's left over because he/she/it has been doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom