Feeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I have read so many different schedules on feeding fish. Food bottles say twice a day. I currently feed once daily. I have also heard accounts on people feeding only once or twice a week. I have a community tank I currently have no live food. They prepared food I use are omega one flakes (I have other brands but I don't use them), NLS, and algae wafers. How often do you feed your fish? How often would you advise me to feed my fish? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a community tank. Feed once in the morning and once before bed about an hour before I shut the lights off. I add algae wafers in morning and right when I'm shutting the light light out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405156034395.jpg
    1405156034395.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 107
I feed every other day. When I do feed a feed for roughly 2 min of food as much as they can eat.

Food is variety, bloodworms, fresh veggies, wafers, NLS flakes, omega pellets,

I would feed daily if my plant mass as larger and I sucked more nitrates up. I imagine this will.come.later on.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I feed 3 x weekly, they are fed something different each feed, fresh veg (zucchini , cucumber, crushed garlic), bloodworms, pellets or flakes. Whatever they can eat in a couple of minutes. The Vegies, I leave in for longer, my Pleco's clean up what the fish don't eat. Fish are consummate beggars and would eat 24/7 if you let them. Over feeding can cause all sorts of problems.

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Normally, I try to feed several times a day. I do miss some days but not on purpose. If growing young fish I feed more often. My experience has been that if you want to maximize potential, you feed lots when the fish are young. However, good growth rates are a product of lots of quality food and CLEAN water. More feeding means more maintenance, in the form of more/larger water changes. IME clean water is at least as important as quality food.

On young fish you feed multiple times a day. For example, my 4" oscar gets fed 4 - 5 times daily. On fry it's recommended that you feed up to 10 times daily to make them grow as much as possible. For adult fish however the most common feeding method is daily with fasting one day a week to clear out the digestive system.

However, everyone does things a little differently as you can plainly see by the answers of this post :)

Every other day is fine.

I keep Mbuna so there's always algae for them to nibble on.

(Also less cleaning work... Shhhh...)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feed 2 times a day. The morning breakfast is shrimp pellets, veggie flakes and omnivore flakes. Night time is small amount of flakes, frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and algae wafers. Night time is more meatier diet because I have nocturnal carnivore fish.

But it really depends on your fish. I have a bumbee bee goby tank that gets fed 3 times a day because they are so tiny I figure their stomachs can't hold much.

Back
Top Bottom