Female betta has a lot of fin damage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just got done breeding my bettas and my female has a lot of fin damage from it. I've bred them several other times before and she wasn't beaten up this bad. How should I go about healing her?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I just got done breeding my bettas and my female has a lot of fin damage from it. I've bred them several other times before and she wasn't beaten up this bad. How should I go about healing her?

All you need is super clean water. Keep the nitrates as low as possible and her fins will heal given enough time.

The fins will heal over time but you can speed up the process.
Melafix is notoriously good at treating fin damage, and if you leave it long enough, fin rot.
Aquarium Salt can also be helpful, it acts as a natural scab that will be formed over injuries just like it does for you or me.
I guess the main thing would be pristine water conditions, they help any kind of aquarium problem.

The fins will heal over time but you can speed up the process.
Melafix is notoriously good at treating fin damage, and if you leave it long enough, fin rot.
Aquarium Salt can also be helpful, it acts as a natural scab that will be formed over injuries just like it does for you or me.
I guess the main thing would be pristine water conditions, they help any kind of aquarium problem.

Melafix is a big no no with anything with a labyrinth organ. This includes Bettas, Gourami, and cory cats. It damages their labyrinth organ impairing their capability to breathe.

Melafix is a big no no with anything with a labyrinth organ. This includes Bettas, Gourami, and cory cats. It damages their labyrinth organ impairing their capability to breathe.

I'm pretty sure that's a myth.
API did a test on it and found no negative effects.
They say that "although BettaFix contains less Melaleuca, you need to dose more anyway. The main issues people have with MelaFix is improper dosage."

I'm pretty sure that's a myth.
API did a test on it and found no negative effects.
They say that "although BettaFix contains less Melaleuca, you need to dose more anyway. The main issues people have with MelaFix is improper dosage."

I found that warning posted directly from API at one point. Not sure if they changed it or not. Betta fix is half strength melafix.

Regardless of whether or not it's dangerous to labyrinth fish it's benefits are minimal. It's a very mild aid for minor wounds but is advertised as a treatment for full blown illnesses which isn't true and leads to many fish deaths because they are treated with something that isn't nearly as effective as it leads people to believe.

I found that warning posted directly from API at one point. Not sure if they changed it or not. Betta fix is half strength melafix.

Regardless of whether or not it's dangerous to labyrinth fish it's benefits are minimal. It's a very mild aid for minor wounds but is advertised as a treatment for full blown illnesses which isn't true and leads to many fish deaths because they are treated with something that isn't nearly as effective as it leads people to believe.

Yes but in this case, it could help.

Best I could find on it without investing much time. It's exam week after all ;)

Current Research/Hypothesis

Currently the best scientific information shows that there may be link between the tea tree oil in Melafix and toxicity in Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish, but this link is NOT what many in aquatic forums are anecdotally assuming.
The best information points to liver function, which would explain why some (such as myself) have not observed this problems in our tests, as admittedly the early studies did not initially focus on over doses or chemistry variables in the water.

Basically Tea Tree oil (melaleuca, Melaleuca alternifolia) is a phenol-containing essential oil.
Its active ingredients are cyclic terpenes which have a similar structure and action to turpentine (a known liver toxin).
The acute toxicity for the major terpenic compounds (linalool, ocimene, alpha-terpinene, 1,8-cineole, terpinolene, camphene) is 2 - 5 g/kg body weight, which is considered a moderately toxic range.
From a toxicologic point of view Tea Tree oil is comparable to oil of turpentine, which is readily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and then finds its way to the liver.
What may be the problem is that under certain conditions Melafix may be toxic to the liver in Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish.

My current hypothesis (based on early tests), is that since the best research shows similarities between TTO and Turpentine (both are terpenes, but then so is beta carotene), is that in an acidic environment, in particular an environment with nitric acid (which is quite possible in an aquarium), the chemical reaction can produce chemicals that may harm the liver in certain fish that have a tendency to ingest the water around them such as Labyrinth fish/Pencil fish (via the surface).

Back
Top Bottom