Female Betta Sorority -- How Many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoyFunWow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it ok to have 2 female bettas in a 5G heated, cycled and filtered tank? They were both added at the same time, and they are the only fish in the tank. One of them is starting to move about and eat but very little. Mostly they are both totally inactive and staying at the opposite ends of the tank. I have read that you need to keep females in at least a group of 3, but I think the tank is too small to sustain 3 bettas. A bigger tank isn't an option, but these two ladies don't seem as happy as my 3 male bettas (the males are all in separate tanks and all swimming all day with their tails on fire!)

A five gallon tank isn't really big enough for more than one betta and a bottom feeder / algae eater. Some like to combine a betta with an african dwarf frog in a tank that small.

I'd suggest getting a bigger tank and using that as either a hospital tank or quarantine tank.

A betta sorority should be done in nothing smaller than a 10 gal tank with no less than 4 females. I have 6 in a 10 gal. I recommend you do as much research as you can by searching for "betta sorority" and "keeping female bettas together". In a 10 gal you can easily house 4-6 females. Some say you can do more. Some say 4 is too few, tho I know some have had this work. When you have 3 or less they almost always tear eachother up. Even if it seems okay at first...tragedy is most likely right around the corner. Female bettas are notorious for being fine with their tankmates one day and killing them the next. If you have a large heavily planted tank you would have a better chance with a smaller number of girls. One thing I found key to success in my sorority is lots of plants and decor for hiding..and lots of tall plants that reach water level.

Back
Top Bottom