Female Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been rethinking the 2 20 Gallon tanks that I'll be setting up in Oct / Nov. Originally I was going to do one SA Cichlid (2 Rams and 2 Angels) and one African shelldweller (Lake Tang.) tank. The more I think about the SA tank the less inclined I am to set that one up. Instead I'm considering female bettas (assuming I can find any !!! if anyone knows someone who sells and ships them please let me know - I've not been able to find any locally).
I want to heavily plant this tank which will have approx 2wpg of light.

How many female bettas would you recommend for a 20 G long ?

Females can grow 2.5-3.5", you can fit about six or seven in there probably. All the petsmarts I have been to, they sell them there for $3.00CAD, so they might be at your local petsmart(that is if you have one) You can even get crowntail females, they are cool. Ebay sells alot too. They can be agressive still though, so I would recommend alot of hiding spaces so they can hide from each other, Goood luck, female bettas are great, i have one. Very nice fish

None of the PetSmarts near me carry female bettas :(
There will be lots of hiding spots, from the plants and from ceramic hidey holes. I'll probably buy a couple of 2.5 G tanks as a backup just in case I get a feisy lady or two LOL

I think 6 females of various colors would look so incredibly awesome. If I could only find some females !!!! I did look on eBay and Aquabid but haven't seen very many females for sale at a reasonable price.

*Warning* Female bettas are great fish; however, they can be just as temperamental as their male counter part. I have had both experiences and watched one little female destroy a small group of neons, as well as another female betta (both bettas were in a 50 gallon tank, which goes against the rule, "if there's enough room, they will avoid each other"). One member of this site used to have three female bettas (I know the tank was bigger than a 20) and they got along fabulously. Unfortunately, she lost them all to disease and when she restocked, her new bettas did not get along and I believe she had to set up individual tanks. That's my warning on female bettas.
I have kept two types of shell dwellers over the years and must say you would be missing out. Their behaviors are wonderful, they make great parents and who could resist fish living in shells?!? My N multies, with a max size of 1-2 inches, are currently raising two broods of fry and it's interesting to watch them pick on the pleco when he gets near. I have had the parents for almost two years and honestly, they are among my favorite fish. My husband and I had to downgrade the number of tanks we had from 13 to 3 due to two long distance moves and a baby on the way. There was never a question as to whether the shellies would stay with us or be sold at auction—the female bettas were sold, but not the shellies. Here's a pic of my shellies with Texas Holey Rock and of course--shells!
4291shellie_tank4.JPG
4291shellie_tank8.JPG

If you like larger fish, try N. ocellatus, which are a bit bigger and IMO, more aggressive. Let me rephrase that, they are aggressive when raising fry--they would outright attack your hand if it was in the tank! The first pic is a female and the second is of the male. These fish are amazing substrate movers.
4291Neo_ocellatus_female2.JPG
4291Neo_ocellatus_male.JPG

Thanks Menagerie, I intended on doing the shellies :) It was the SA cichlid tank I was considering doing the female bettas in instead. For the shellies I was actually thinking N. Brevis.

Maybe I'll skip the female bettas and do N. Brichardi or J. Transcriptus in the second tank.

UGH - so many "wants" so few tanks !! (LOL, but that will change for sure !)

I LOVE the multi's in your tank ! they're beautiful and you're right - I don't think I'd be able to resist them :)

I forgot where shellies come from--pregnant brain strikes again! Oh well, the info on female bettas still stands :biglol:

If you had a larger tank, you could do both multies and J. transcriptus. Currently we have both in a 25 gal, and they are all being upgraded to a 46 in the near future. There are so many wants in this hobby! Just keep in mind that you can be in this hobby for decades and never get bored. N. brichardi are fun and they will readily breed. The older broods will help care for the younger broods, which is amazing to watch. Another cichlid that I am fond of right now are kribs and they would do well in a 20--then you wouldn't have two Lake Tang tanks.

Well, if I did the two as Lake Tang tanks then I could upgrade and move both tanks into a 55 - and then have the 2 20's to play with again :)
You're not kidding about never being bored !

Back
Top Bottom