Few food Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. I bought a couple of flagfish to eat my algae that's started (I just love them! So different from the typical catfish!) showing up on stuff. Their doing a good job of it. I read somewhere that giving them romane lettuce or zucceni was a good idea so I stopped & bought some lettuce tonight. Will they know to eat the lettuce & not just look for algae on it? Would feeding them lettuce cause them to try eating the rest of my plants?

2. I've noticed the flagfish sometimes come over when i'm feeding the ladies & will join for a few bites. Will a few brine shrimp & blood worms destroy their desire for algae?

3. Was trying to think of what I could give my female bettas foodwise thats stimulating (something live that they can hunt/kill.) My LPS doesn't hardly sell squat, feeder fish are about the only live fish food they sell.

This is probably pretty off the wall, but...could I toss them a cricket(store bought, not wild)? The small ones I feed my spiderlings look like they'd be perfect.

1. they'll probably be more interested in the zucchini...it'd blanch it first though and let it cool

2. naw, should be fine

3. bettas are not big meat eaters...in fact too much protein will kill a betta. they have a very tightly balled, twisted up stomach, and a wad of protein will constipate them to the point they can't feed and then they can die.

I stick to betta flakes, standard omnivore flakes, and daphnia for my bettas. I will feed them a tiny, tiny, tiny morsel of mysis shrimp from time to time, but never more than a couple bites and always with some other 'veggie' food to help prevent any digestive issues.

If you leave a gallon bucket of water outside eventually you might get some mosquito larva to feed the bettas. Mine love it.

Veggies are great to feed many fish and there is an article on how to serve them in the articles section.

Here's the link. Menagerie is the author of the article and was instrumental in me trying several veggies and fruits for my fish. My fish thank you for that Menagerie. Although at times I think they eat better than I do. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom