Fighting Cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started my dosing. Do I do a water change everyday before I do the next dose? The box seems to suggest 25%. Wasn't sure if I follow that given I am treating for cyano and not a fish disease.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't remember doing a PWC everyday. I either did it at day #5 or day #10.

Fun fact though, cyanobacteria are gram negative and erythromycin still works,.

I like that you can use 'fun fact' and 'Cyanobacteria' in the same sentence. Good job, non-prejudice erythromycin!

On day four of treatment. I don't really see much change of the cyano on the leaves or the substrate. Not sure what I am looking for.

I removed maybe 95% by cleaning some sand and trimming off the majority of leaves infected. There are some leaves and areas with cyano still on there.

Be patient. You may not see changes until day 6 or later. EM will still be effective after dosing.

Thanks. Never been a patient man!

Thought I would give a quick update.

My tank is looking nice and clear. The plants are even looking healthier.

Knock on wood. Hopefully I beat that nasty bacteria.

Good deal. For what it's worth, I get it periodically in some of my tanks, and I just dose the tank with h2o2 followed up by a heavy dose of excel. Seems to work well.

Is there a formula you use? Figure good to be prepared if I need to go that route. Fingers crossed that I won't.

Back
Top Bottom