Filling out a young school while cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RJ23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I bought a 29G and we're very happy. We're both responsible and have been reading up wherever we can but I simply didn't have the patience for fishless cycling. We read up on the article on this site about fish-in cycling that recommended 1 fish/10g and not bigger than an inch or so. We tried to follow that idea when visiting our LFS after a few days of setup.

We wanted to go with less aggressive fish at first as we're not experienced. We ended up with 1 Black Molly and 2 Bloodfin Tetras. We've set up with an air curtain/gravel/plastic plants&deco.

After about a week and a half the cloudiness in the water has subsided a few days back. We have the API master kit and PH levels have been steady in the 7.2 range. We've been doing 25% water changes every couple of days if ammonia level starts to creep up. The molly is cruising around and has a great appetite .. now seems to be enjoying himself (def a male) in his new environment.

The biggest concern we have at the moment (and biggest mistake we made) is after reading up on the bloodfin tetras (which are great!) we found out they're best in packs of 5+. We believe the LFS still has more and I believe they are young as they're not even 1".. definitely smaller than that. The tetras are spending about half their time hanging out in the top corners and about half playfully scooting about the tank together. We would love to have a pack of these as they should be but we have been having great success keeping our levels in check. Is it a better idea to get the young tetras from the LFS and complete the pack while they're small or wait it out and hope they're still available?

We don't want to screw up the cycling since things have been going well but want the tetras to do well. Looking for advice on this.. thanks!!:thanks:

If it where me I would wait until the cycle is complete to add any more. You're creating more waste by adding more fish, so the levels are going to rise faster creating more work for you and a potentially toxic environment for the fish. Without a school they will be stressed and shy but IMHO it's better than being potentially exposed to toxic levels of ammonia if you can't stay on top of water changes.

Without a school they will be stressed and shy but IMHO it's better than being potentially exposed to toxic levels of ammonia if you can't stay on top of water changes.

This was my inclination to wait it out but it can't hurt to ask, right? I will stay on top of the water changes! :fish2:

If the tank is cycled and the LFS doesn't have any more of the bloodfins will tetras school with other tetras? Would a bloodfin tetra school with a cardinal tetra..etc?

Thank you !

There is no way to know for sure if different tetra's will school together or not but most LFS's will order certain fish in if asked for them. It's not uncommon and recently the only LFS I go to asked if there was any fish I was interested in that they could order.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom