Filstar XP3 Setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question on setting up a XP3 Cannister filter. The filter itself seems easy (looking at online instructions), but was wondering how easy it is setting up the input/output tubing? And will I need to get more tubing from the lfs? My filter has now shipped, and should be getting it shortly. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks all......

I had no problem setting up up the hoses. Just don't cut them too short. I've read posts about hoses too short causing leaks. Also warming the ends in hot water will make them easier to slip over the barbed fittings.

its real easy to get going. im not sure of your question about more hose. it comes with 2 pieces about 5 or 6 foot each.im running mine with the filter in my middle door of a homemade stand that is about 4 foot tall.input on one side and spraybar across the top with tube to spare.
i am thinking of replacing the hose with a more ridged black tubbing. ive had an algae problem and it seems to build up in the hoses. the only thing is the tubbing that is provided with the system is pretty soft and can kink quite easily with the wait of water. make sure to cut away any excess length.
also make sure to fill the inflow pipe with water before locking down the two hose assembly. i was stupid and ended up filling the intire canister by funneling water into the small hose. fill the hose and put the cap back on then when you lock down the hose assembly it should automatically fill the canister.
lots of stuff you probably already read but i guess i felt like typing. :) good luck

I got my filstar XP3 and my 75' Python today, I'm so excited. If I get time tomorrow, might set it up. But might have to wait til my day off, which is Christmas, lol. Also got all kinds of media too. I had ordered some cylinders, lava stone, and stars. Glad I got the extra baskets for all the media. :)

Merry Christmas all....

I got my XP3 installed today. Was a breeze. So easy. I used the spraybar for the output. Looks good. And very quiet.

What a dust storm now. I have pool filter sand, and all the crud that was hidden sitting on top of the sand is now water-born. With both filters going, there's just enough circulation to pretty much keep the crud off the bottom. But just wondering how long til the water clears.

As for the insides, it's got the 2 coarse sponges, then the 2 mid-coarse sponges. That's the bottom basket. The lower middle basket has cylinders. The upper mid basket has lava granules which were rinsed off very well. The lower upper basket has the star media. And the top upper basket has 2 of the micro filters. I didn't want to use the Chem Zorb packets, so I just used the 2 fine filters that are like floss.

So there you have it. It's running, and I'm happy. Just would like the water-born particles to disappear, lol. There was so much stuff I didn't see on the bottom until I started the filter. Then the dust storm, lol.

Parameters:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate <10ppm
Did 75% pwc today after I installed XP3.
Temp a comfortable 78.8
ph 7.2
And the water crystal clear other than a small dust storm.

what was the reason you didnt want to run bio chem zorb?
mine has pretty much become a power head. its been running with nothing in it for 3 weeks. :oops: too lazy to load it up again.

I personally just like sticking to regular media, and not something that removes ammonia, etc, and starves the bacteria. The cylinders and sponge will hold so much bacteria, there's no need for the chemzorb. And with the cylinders, never have to replace them. Been running them on my small Emperor going on 6 months, open the media container occasionally to inspect but never had to do any rinsing.

Instead of using it as a powerhead, just load it with cylinders and you'll never need to rinse. Just the maintenance for the fine filter pad and sponges, and that's it.

I just got my XP3 and set it up and was wondering if it was normal to have a definate humm to the pump. I was under the impression that these are basically silent filters and the pump on mine is quite loud if you ask me. It isn't a huge deal I just wanted to know if this is normal or if I did something wrong. The only thing I have differently is that I didn't cut the hoses yet because I am in the process of working up my plans for my new stand and am going to build shortly and I don't wanna cut them too short. If this is the problem though I could cut them and then just buy new stuff from the local hardware store when I get my new stand. TIA

mine was pretty loud also. not sure if it got more quite or if i just got used to it. :x my remora skimmer is so loud that i cant even hear the tv.

try turning it off and tilting it from side to side to make sure that you get all the air out of it.

I think you may be correct. I was just checking it out and I noticed that there is an air pocket in it. I just wonder cuz I am just under the needed 24" mark for the distance under the water line. I wonder if there isn't enough down flow coming out of the tank to get it totally filled. Maybe until I get my stand I'll have to throw two more concrete blocks under my tank. Hmm.. Thanks so much for the quick reply though!!!

I can only hear a slight humm if I open the door to the base of the tank. With it closed, all I heas is the water flow from my Emperor 400. I don't hear my XP3 outside of the base with the door closed. And my tank is next to my bed. :)

Back
Top Bottom