Filter and intake tube cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ow often should you clean your filter? I don't mean change media, I mean actually get the algae and such out of the tubes and underneath the media? I am switching to sponges in most of my tanks, but wondered for the tanks I intend to keep powered filters for. Thanks.

I would do so once a year unless you have an issue with the unit. I just don't like stirring up the bacteria that are keeping my fish healthy if I can avoid it. You may have guessed I'm not into asctetics just function.

I do my HOBs every 3 months and my canister every 4 months. It really depends on the size of the filter vs tanks size, stock levels etc. Start at say 2 months and if they are not really dirty, you could leave it for 3 months and so on. You'll soon learn how often your own filters need to be cleaned....

Lord I rarely clean my tubing if ever! You guys are making me feel neglectful!

Thanks everyone. I just started breeding angels, and keep getting white eggs. Yet, my ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc are perfect. I have 2 filters in my 55g. 1 has purigen and sponge. The other: sponge, nitra-zorb, and bio-bag. I'm switching the breeding tanks to sponge filters, but my main tank (the one I'm discussing here) I want to keep running with the hang-ons. I noticed the tubes were really dirty on the inside. It looks more like algae than bacteria. I also saw more brown spots on my fake plants than usual while doing my weekly water change, so I cleaned the tubes. I'll report what happens. I had never cleaned them before, to preserve bacteria, like others have said. Thanks for the feedback!

I don't mess with the tubing unless there is a problem but I try to shake out the filter media when it is needed.

Thanks everyone. I just started breeding angels, and keep getting white eggs. Yet, my ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc are perfect. I have 2 filters in my 55g. 1 has purigen and sponge. The other: sponge, nitra-zorb, and bio-bag. I'm switching the breeding tanks to sponge filters, but my main tank (the one I'm discussing here) I want to keep running with the hang-ons. I noticed the tubes were really dirty on the inside. It looks more like algae than bacteria. I also saw more brown spots on my fake plants than usual while doing my weekly water change, so I cleaned the tubes. I'll report what happens. I had never cleaned them before, to preserve bacteria, like others have said. Thanks for the feedback!
You won't 'see' the bacteria. The build up on the inside is perfectly fine to clean off. The bulk of your bacteria is in the media, inside the filter. You can use regular water to clean the pipes, not the media.....
I have always used regular very warm tap water. Leave them soak for a few minutes and use a baby bottle brush.

Back
Top Bottom