Filter and Powerhead Reccommendations Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please recommend filters and powerheads for the following sizes of community tanks:

55 gal
75 gal
100 gal
125 gal

Thanks! :)

well what kind of filter are you looking for? HOB? canister? wet/dry? as for the powerheads, I would go with a powerhead that has a venturi adapter on it, this allows oxygen to be mixed in with the current it produces and produce a ton of oxygen rich bubbles. The venturi adapter can be unhooked for just a steady current if the tank. I woul dreccomend a powerhead, but I don't know what price range your trying to stay in. some of the big ones go up to 60 bucks, u tthey have arotating head that moves the current through your tank. let us know what exactly your looking fo rand we can help ya better :)

On any tank, starting at that 55 gallon point, I would say to go with a canister filter. I am only familiar with the Rena models unfortunately as that is what I have currently.

On a 55 gallon the Rena XP3 will work well and a powerhead is not necessary.

On a 75 gallon, the XP3 would work too. I would recommend a Fluval powerhead and just stuff it with filter floss that you can pick up at WalMart. Just make sure it's 100% polyster.

I can't say for larger tanks, but I know there is an XP4 out now.

Yes i would suggest a cascade 1500 or Rean Xp3 for anyhting over 55 gallons and for prolly anyhitng at 125 or up i would work out a combination of 2 differnt filter types for best results. Canister is the best way to go though, Remember your always wanting to over do it as much as possible with filtration without turning your tank into a whirlpool.

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Is there no reason to use a powerheads in any of those tanks if a Rena is used?

My supplier doesn't carry Rena canisters...how does an Eheim canister compare? How about those Hagen canisters?

I'm just looking for good filtration, and DEFINATELY ease of cleaning. Cost isn't an issue (reasonable though jeez!).

Like I mentioned earlier, I am only familiar with the Rena model as that is what I own, but an Eheim model should do just as well. You can buy filters on PetSmart.com if that is an option for you. They're much cheaper online. You can also try to walk into a PetSmart and they will price match.

If you're talking about ease of cleaning, you might want to try what I am doing. I have a 55 gallon tank and the XP3 provides plenty of flow for me, but I am adding a powerhead with nothing but filter floss in it. It's basically a way to polish the water and get the little bits out. The powerhead will be easier to clean than the larger filter and will be done weekly with water changes.

I don't put any filter on my powerheads. I don't like how ugly they look in the tank. I just attach the little mesh guard/cage that comes with them so they don't suck up fish. I use Maxi-Jet powerheads mainly since they are small, and function well. :)

Myka said:
I don't put any filter on my powerheads. I don't like how ugly they look in the tank. I just attach the little mesh guard/cage that comes with them so they don't suck up fish. I use Maxi-Jet powerheads mainly since they are small, and function well. :)

I've got a small one that doesn't move enough GPH to be an effective filter. Since it's so small, I tucked it behind a plant in the corner. You can also get that polyster filter floss and put it in the XP3. There is plenty of room for it there.

Back
Top Bottom