Filter Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodibug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I know I'm not supposed to change my filter very often, but at some point I'm gonna have to change it. How often is good and do I need to do anything special to prep the new filter? I'm terrified of losing the biological filter when I do a change.
My tank has been running for just over 3 months and I've not changed the filters yet. I have a 29 gallon with a penguin 350 dual bio wheel filter.

I suppose I mean the filter media.
I'm not familiar with that filter but after a quick google search it looks like they take cartridges??. Just replace one side at a time or better still, but some universal filter sponge(cut to fit) and replace one side at a time, 4-6wks apart. You will only lose a small amount of BB this way.....
Regular filter sponges will last years and can be cleaned with used tank water....

If Im not mistaken each side should have 2 slots. 1 for filter pad/charcoal and second (closes to out put ) should have a plastic cage with bio media. The one with bio media never gets changed just swish in a bucket of tank water and put back. Then as Ian said only replace the pad 1 at a time as necessary ( when falling apart) The plastic cage with bio media holds most of the BB.

This part here never replace or let tap water get on it
5802.jpg

If Im not mistaken each side should have 2 slots. 1 for filter pad/charcoal and second (closes to out put ) should have a plastic cage with bio media. The one with bio media never gets changed just swish in a bucket of tank water and put back. Then as Ian said only replace the pad 1 at a time as necessary ( when falling apart) The plastic cage with bio media holds most of the BB.
Thanks mikem, I wasn't sure of the amount of slots!!. Follow what mikem said but if possible replace the filter pad/charcoal(if in a cage) with a regular filter pad as above....

Literally, just jam the media compartments with reticulated foam aka aquarium sponge aka aquaclear foam. It's good bio/mech filtration, it lasts forever, and you only need to rinse it lightly in a bucket of tank water from time to time when it is excessively soiled.

Thanks mikem, I wasn't sure of the amount of slots!!. Follow what mikem said but if possible replace the filter pad/charcoal(if in a cage) with a regular filter pad as above....

Unfortunately the filter pad is pre made with charcoal embedded in it. The cage should only have ceramic rings for the BB. This is one of the reasons I changer to aqua Clear 110s Also in my experience the impellers get loud in a short time on the penguin filters.

Literally, just jam the media compartments with reticulated foam aka aquarium sponge aka aquaclear foam. It's good bio/mech filtration, it lasts forever, and you only need to rinse it lightly in a bucket of tank water from time to time when it is excessively soiled.

I personally wouldn't jam it because you need good flow around and through it to keep the old and dead BB moving off the media and the newer healthy BB to continue growing and doing its job.

I personally wouldn't jam it because you need good flow around and through it to keep the old and dead BB moving off the media and the newer healthy BB to continue growing and doing its job.
I agree, if anything I would put some floss in the gaps but loosely in not jammed....

You people take things so literally. "Insert a properly sized piece of sponge to fill the media well". Better?

And if you need a good flow to keep the old dead BB flowing off, how do hydrosponge filters work? If you run them with an air pump they suck water through at 0.000001MPH.

You people take things so literally. "Insert a properly sized piece of sponge to fill the media well". Better?

And if you need a good flow to keep the old dead BB flowing off, how do hydrosponge filters work? If you run them with an air pump they suck water through at 0.000001MPH.
If your giving advise to a new member and I presume this member is relatively new to fishkeeping, they make take your advise 'literally'.
No need to be so forward with your answer either, we are just trying to help a new member....

I simply said that because I know what you meant but you never know how much the person understands that is asking the question. If they are 100% new to this they just might think that jamming it full means just that.

Ok, this has been very helpful. I actually only have one slot filled right now. It's a filter with charcoal. So sounds like I need to get a cage and put some aquarium sponge in it. Then I change the charcoal filters one at a time and only rinse the sponge, never switch it out.

Ok, this has been very helpful. I actually only have one slot filled right now. It's a filter with charcoal. So sounds like I need to get a cage and put some aquarium sponge in it. Then I change the charcoal filters one at a time and only rinse the sponge, never switch it out.
You should be able to fit a sponge in the slot, without the cage. The charcoal filters, personally I wouldn't bother with. When it is exhausted replace it with a fine sponge filter pad. Those charcoal filter pads can be expensive to run/replace....

Reading the responses again I see I need the ceramic rings and not the foam. Thanks again, everyone. I've learned so much on this site, my fish are very grateful (they just wish I'd learned all this before I got them).

Reading the responses again I see I need the ceramic rings and not the foam. Thanks again, everyone. I've learned so much on this site, my fish are very grateful (they just wish I'd learned all this before I got them).
Either will do, foam probably better in HOB though. It will both filter and house BB....

Get the cages and fill them with the ceramic rings. Then once a month when you do a water change fill a container with some of the water you take out of the tank and just swish the cage in the water. Never let the rings dry out. The filter pads unfortunately you will have to replace when they are falling apart or slowing the flow rate. But you can swish them in the tank water also to clean them in between replacement. You want the pad in the back to catch all the waste and junk then the cage in the front so all the junk doesnt build up on the cages. If you want to go a step farther you can put floss in between the pad and the cage to catch any fine particles. If you use the floss you will just replace that about once a week. Lastly never let any untreated tap water get on any surface of the filter because it can destroy your Good BB. Hope this makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom