Filter concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aprlshwrs

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g tank that is running an Aqueon 30 filter. I am upgrading my filter to a Marineland Emperor 280 after doing some heavy research on what I'm looking for in a filter. (I have a gazillion guppies...(ok more like 16-17...they don't stay still long enough for me to count them), 2 platy adults 4 platy fry, and 4 cory cats).

Today, I went to Petco and purchased the filter that I wanted...it was the last one. Not only that but it was $20 off because of an after-Christmas sale. When I got home, I opened the package and realized that the filter system had been used. There are hardwater stains on the bottom strainer and in the well. It looks as if they put a new filter cartridge in the package because it was no longer sealed.

Should I be concerned? My friend suggested I take it back because I don't know what was in the water of whoever used it before me. However, the filter cartridge is new (newly replaced) and it looks as if it has been cleaned as well as they could have cleaned...(at least they made an effort).

I would like to know if anyone can think of any reason why I should not use this filter...or any suggestions to make sure I'm using it safely as possible. Honestly, people use someone else's old filters all the time...what steps do you take before you put it in your tank?

If its dry IMO you have nothing to worry about. Any diseases that may have been on it would be long dead. If you are still worried wash the filter housing in a bleach/ water or vinegar/water solution making sure to thoroughly rinse at the end.

Thanks. I don't know if I'm as concerned as my friend is about it. (She can be over-dramatic sometimes). It looks like the filter was very well cleaned and everything is/was dry when I opened the package. I'll just give everything a thorough rinsing before I use it again.

Another question...although, maybe I should post this as a different thread...what are the differences between a Marineland Emperor 280 and a Marineland Penguin 350? Pros/Cons, etc. I'm having a tough time finding that information anywhere. Even the Marineland site doesn't have a comparison. Just curious...

aprlshwrs said:
Thanks. I don't know if I'm as concerned as my friend is about it. (She can be over-dramatic sometimes). It looks like the filter was very well cleaned and everything is/was dry when I opened the package. I'll just give everything a thorough rinsing before I use it again.

Another question...although, maybe I should post this as a different thread...what are the differences between a Marineland Emperor 280 and a Marineland Penguin 350? Pros/Cons, etc. I'm having a tough time finding that information anywhere. Even the Marineland site doesn't have a comparison. Just curious...

I'm sorry I don't know. I've never used either.

Aquaclear filters are awesome! Have you looked into those?

I would suggest you ask for more money off since it's USED and it didn't state so on the packaging.

Personally, I would take it back. Petco has a pretty relaxed return policy. I'm just saying, possibly, just speculation, maybe someone had an impeller failure and took advantage of Petco to get a new one for free.

I have a 29g tank that is running an Aqueon 30 filter. I am upgrading my filter to a Marineland Emperor 280 after doing some heavy research on what I'm looking for in a filter. (I have a gazillion guppies...(ok more like 16-17...they don't stay still long enough for me to count them), 2 platy adults 4 platy fry, and 4 cory cats).

Today, I went to Petco and purchased the filter that I wanted...it was the last one. Not only that but it was $20 off because of an after-Christmas sale. When I got home, I opened the package and realized that the filter system had been used. There are hardwater stains on the bottom strainer and in the well. It looks as if they put a new filter cartridge in the package because it was no longer sealed.

Should I be concerned? My friend suggested I take it back because I don't know what was in the water of whoever used it before me. However, the filter cartridge is new (newly replaced) and it looks as if it has been cleaned as well as they could have cleaned...(at least they made an effort).

I would like to know if anyone can think of any reason why I should not use this filter...or any suggestions to make sure I'm using it safely as possible. Honestly, people use someone else's old filters all the time...what steps do you take before you put it in your tank?

Hello aprl...

The new "used" filter is safe. Can't imagine any bacteria from the other tank would still be alive. If you want to be safe, then fill your kitchen sink with warm water and add a couple of tablespoons of standard aquarium salt to the water and soak the filter in the water for a couple of hours.

Any residual bacteria that might be living on the surface of the filter wouldn't be able to tolerate even a trace of salt.

Even though the filter was used, I think you got a pretty good deal.

B

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Yes, I have looked into AquaClear filters but I really like the idea of the BioWheel in the Marineland filters.

I'm not too concerned with the price of the filter even though it was used. I got it for $35 and I'm very happy about that. The only place that was lower was petco.com because they're having a 51% off sale and the filters were $18.99. Unfortunately, they were out of stock anyway. The next lowest was Big Al's Online which had them for $27.99 but with the s&h, I still would have paid about $37. Still a better deal where I got it.

I think I will take your suggestion, BBradbury. I went back to Petco today because I needed to exchange something else and I asked if they had anymore filters and they did not. They don't know when they will be coming in. No one near me sells this filter...it's very annoying.

Anyway, I have a question about the intake tube. It's ridiculously long for my tank and I was going to cut the one tube down. Does anyone know if it's possible to just not use the mid-range intake and attach the strainer to the first intake tube that attaches to the filter. Does that take away from the overall filtration?

Back
Top Bottom