Filter Cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! Below is some pictures of my filter. (It is an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 - 100 GPH) This tank will soon become a paradise Betta habitat, but it will be hell for him if I can't block the high water output. Since this is a QuietFlow, it does not have an adjustable water flow. Is there any object I can use to slow the water flow back into the tank? Sponge? Rock?:thanks:

Attachments

• FilterPicture1.jpg
    FilterPicture1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 83
  • FilterPicture2.jpg
    FilterPicture2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 85
  • FilterPicture3.jpg
    FilterPicture3.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 78
  • FilterPicture4.jpg
    FilterPicture4.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 82
I use the Quietflow 20 on my 20 gallon tank. Stick a small piece of foam under that stupid blue plastic thing on the outlet and it will make the flow not so harsh

You can place a piece of filter foam (sponge) over the uptake tube- it doesnt look very attractive but it will reduce the flow into the filter itself thus reducing the outflow of water as well. I would also increase the water level in your tank as well- this will limit the force of the outflow, too.

jlk said:
You can place a piece of filter foam (sponge) over the uptake tube- it doesnt look very attractive but it will reduce the flow into the filter itself thus reducing the outflow of water as well. I would also increase the water level in your tank as well- this will limit the force of the outflow, too.

+1 on the increasing the water level. That will help with the impact of the water. Might calm things down for ya.

I had an old shrimp tank and had an issues with surface agitation so I raised the water level and it helped a lot.

I agree with raising water level. It reduces the water falling affect which is more pronounced on my Aquaclear than my Aqueon.

My water level is 2 centimeters below the surface guys. I don't want to raise it any more, or I will soak my light strip. Besides, we are talking about a QuietFlow. Raising the water level does not help my filter...

Filter foam over the intake tube- the more you cover it & the thicker the foam, the less the flow will be. It also will lessen the chance of anybody getting sucked into/stuck on the intake.

I took a filter cartridge from a top fin 20 filter and rubberbanded it onto the outflow water fall thing on my 5 gallon. Just play with the positioning a bit and you can end up with almost no direct flow. My filter doesnt even bother duckweed anymore really.

phoenixkiller said:
My water level is 2 centimeters below the surface guys. I don't want to raise it any more, or I will soak my light strip. Besides, we are talking about a QuietFlow. Raising the water level does not help my filter...

From the pictures it looks a lot more then 2 centimeters but you would know better then I would, as I'm not standing in front of it. Just curious why wouldn't raising the water level help with that mind of filter? And by soaking your light strip I'm only to assume your tank is topless? So you probably have issues with more rapid evaporation?

Good luck, I hope you find a solution. Please post if you don't mind what you end up coming up with.

From the pictures it looks a lot more then 2 centimeters but you would know better then I would, as I'm not standing in front of it. Just curious why wouldn't raising the water level help with that mind of filter? And by soaking your light strip I'm only to assume your tank is topless? So you probably have issues with more rapid evaporation?

Good luck, I hope you find a solution. Please post if you don't mind what you end up coming up with.
My filter is very strong, so raising the water level (which I have tried in the past) does not help. Soaking my light strip is a constant problem because my top (not the light strip) is riddled with cracks and crannies, so I cannot do that. Answering your last question, I have a really bad problem with evaporation, so I really need a top...

Well honestly if you're only going to house bettas and are that concerned about water current just go with a different filter.

I did fine on my first ten gallon with a box filter. Of you can go with a sponge filter. Honestly I don't think it's even necessary to have an HOB on a ten unless the fish required a stronger water flow.

Well honestly if you're only going to house bettas and are that concerned about water current just go with a different filter.

I did fine on my first ten gallon with a box filter. Of you can go with a sponge filter. Honestly I don't think it's even necessary to have an HOB on a ten unless the fish required a stronger water flow.
I know, but I would hate to do water changes really often, so I wondered if there was a way to block the water flow some...

Back
Top Bottom