Filter efficiency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 46g sand bottom, drift wood and a couple live plants.

Fishless cycle complete 2 months ago using new fluval c4. This week I added a new AC 50.

I was wondering what media is best?? So far I'm using what came standard. I am also sitting on a bag of purigen...nervous to add.

Can someone tell me where best (cheapest) place to buy floss or pads that will make my tank look optimal? How and where do I add the pads or floss or purigen I have?

Thanks!

Ah, the great filter media debate :) The simple answer is DON'T buy overpriced filter media from the store. The best answer I can give is go to Drs Foster and Smith.com, search for filter pads and buy the large sheets of various densities (fine, super fine, coarse, etc).

The Fluval C4 and any of the AquaClear's are really the best for customizing media outside of a canister filter. I cannot speak for the C4 filters as I have an AquaClear but what I've done with my AC since I've owned it is keep the default sponge it came with in and then add: water polishing pads (the Fluval pads for canister filters work great, look for the 3 or 6 packs that are for canister size 104-106 and 204-206), I've used the Acurel brand debris catching pads with great success, and now I currently have the Drs Foster and Smith sponges in there. So thinking of it as a layer I have the default AC sponge on the bottom, followed by a fine sponge, followed by a super fine sponge and then finally the bio media. Since it looks like you have purigen, you probably don't need as many sponges as I have and can really just put the purigen where you'd put the carbon without any additional media. Another good option for crystal clear water (if not using purigen) is to buy micron polishing pads in the 50 to 100 micron range. I have a sheet of the 50 micron pads from Drs Foster and Smith and when I first used it I was amazed at what it took out! Needless to say my water looks great even without purigen and I have to think it is because of the custom media these filters allow you to use!

Tank Filtration

I have 46g sand bottom, drift wood and a couple live plants.

Fishless cycle complete 2 months ago using new fluval c4. This week I added a new AC 50.

I was wondering what media is best?? So far I'm using what came standard. I am also sitting on a bag of purigen...nervous to add.

Can someone tell me where best (cheapest) place to buy floss or pads that will make my tank look optimal? How and where do I add the pads or floss or purigen I have?

Thanks!

Hello dave...

Acurel has a good polyfiber product. I use it in my Hagen filters. The stuff is very durable. I just take it out every two weeks and rinse it in some of the old tank water and put it all back.

Just an FYI, overfiltering the tank isn't a bad idea, but don't rely on mechanical filtration to keep the tank water clean. For tanks 30 gallons and smaller, you should be changing half the water every week and servicing the filter. Tanks larger than 30 Gs can routinely go 2 weeks between 50 percent changes and filter service.

B

Best ways to crystal clear polished water

For me, Acurel waste & debris pads (3/8 inch thick) + Aquatic Life Non Woven Filter Pads (1/12 inch thick) + Seachem Purigen 100 ml = Crystal clear polished water that looks like I have a cannister filters and UV sterilziers running. [For my Aquaclear 50, I use Sera Wool "floss" for polishing although I suspect the polishing pads mentioned above by NeverEnoughFish are in fact much better.]

Amazon prices on polishing pads are terrible so for the best on line prices on Aquatic Life mocron pads, go to Petco.com

Aquatic Life Filter Media Non-Woven Pad at PETCO

Aquatic Life Filter Media Non-Woven Pad, 26" L X 30" W 50 Micron SKU: 2200292 $9.99

Aquatic Life Filter Media Non-Woven Pad, 100 Micron 26" L X 30" W SKU: 2200284 $7.59

Aquatic Life Filter Media Non-Woven Pad, 300 Micron 26" L X 30" WSKU: 2200305 $6.39

[Too bad Drs Foster & Smith only sell the felt micron polishing pads. They are not as good as the AquaticLife.]

Using custom media and a home made floss in biobag pre-filter, I was able to obtain canister quality crystal clear polished water even with my WalMart Aqua-Tech 30-60. Servicing that filter proved messy and time consuming however, so I gave myself some "holiday" gifts this past season and my filters and media have evolved to the point that the water looks absolutely stunning using the following in my tanks which are fully stocked (see my profile)

38 gallon (Three filters):

Fluval C3 #1:

Mechanical: (no pre-filter) Acurel Pad -> 300 micron -> 100 micron ->
Chemical: 100 ml Purigen, Seachem Matrix & Floss
Biological -> Factory CNodes

Fluval C3 #2:

Mechanical: Fluval edge pre-filter -> Acurel Pad -> 100 micron -> 50 micron
Chemical: 100 ml Purigen, Seachem Matrix & Floss
Biological -> Factory CNodes + Seachem Matrix

AC50 (with side holes duct taped to avoid bypass issue so all water flows through all media):

Mechanical: Factory sponge cut in half with Sera Wool brand floss "sandwiched" in between.

Chemical: Poly-Filter by Poly-Bio-Marine, Inc (to hold down nitrates)

Biological: Factory BioMax + Seachem Matrix

29 Gallon - single Fluval C4

Mechanical: Fluval Edge Pre filter -> Acurel Pad -> 300 micron pad -> 100 micron pad -> 50 micron pad

Chemical Chamber: 2-100 ml Purigens + Poly-Filter + Seachem Matrix

Biological: Factory C-Nodes

Here is a side view of my 38 gallon even before I started using the 50 micron pads:

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture

I consider the 50 micron pads "optional" but they make the water in my 29 gallon tank so "shiney" it is like you are looking into a mirror and see your own image as you try and look at the fish.

As you can tell ....... I am obsessed with the crystal clear polished water thing :D(y)

Edit: and here's a link to my photobucket account filtration section:

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Paul1792/library/HOB Filtration?sort=6&page=1

Back
Top Bottom