Filter for 75g Discus/Angel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well folks, it's that time again. New tank! :) The deal for the 120g long I was after fell through so I'm off to buy a 75g that's on sale at the LFS tomorrow.

I'm going to do a low tech planted discus/angel tank with this one. I'm thinking I can raise my 36" 96w CF light up to get an even spread of light at the bottom. I hate dark corners. :)

Anywho... I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a filter in this tank. I'm familiar with all the different styles of filters but I've been an HOB guy myself. I know discus don't like strong current so this is where I need your advice.

I've heard HOB's are fine, AC110s, etc. but was wondering if a canister filter would be a better option. I could always use my 30g long as a sump too if that is practical.

Any recommendations on brands/models would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears..

On my 75 discus tank. I have a 100 gallon can. A 200 gallon can and a 90 emporer hob. They don't seem to mind the flow at all .the small can is a marineland and the big one is a cascade the cascade works great you can get it for 150 on petmountain.com just order extra ceramic rings

2 AC110s should do the job. You can buy a PH if you want to increase water flow. I prefer canister filters. If that's my tank, I'd get 2 fluval 305s or a 305 and a 205, or 305 and an AC110. That's just me...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I might go for the Fluval 305 and an AC110. I've always wanted to try canister filters out. Worse comes to worse I can just use it on my planted tank and finally get an inline CO2 reactor. ;)

If you do a Fluval do the 405, it is worth the small price difference. You could save money or at least break even and just get the FX5 and not have to worry about having enough filtation.

Thanks for the tip on the 405. Looks like its got a bit more room for media and the extra turnover can't hurt. None of you seem to be worried about the flow being too strong. Is that something that is overrated with discus - they can't take strong current?

I've been eying up Hans and Kenny's September shipment and I think I might just bite the bullet and pre-order some from Kenny.

I'm thinking:

2x Brilliant Turquoise
2x Santarem or Tefe (I'm torn between the two)
2x Blue Diamond

At least to start with... :)

It shouldn't be an issue at all. The 120 gallon display at the shop was discus and used a Fluval FX5 with no problems. If anything we needed a little more flow. If you do have too much flow it is very easy to dilute it. I turned the output on the FX5 around and had the dual outputs pointing in opposite directions along the back. You can put the output in one corner and point it along the length of the tank, either the front or the back to dilute the flow as well.

meegosh said:
Well folks, it's that time again. New tank! :) The deal for the 120g long I was after fell through so I'm off to buy a 75g that's on sale at the LFS tomorrow.

I'm going to do a low tech planted discus/angel tank with this one. I'm thinking I can raise my 36" 96w CF light up to get an even spread of light at the bottom. I hate dark corners. :)

Anywho... I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for a filter in this tank. I'm familiar with all the different styles of filters but I've been an HOB guy myself. I know discus don't like strong current so this is where I need your advice.

I've heard HOB's are fine, AC110s, etc. but was wondering if a canister filter would be a better option. I could always use my 30g long as a sump too if that is practical.

Any recommendations on brands/models would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears..

I am new to the forum and getting back into the hobby after a ten year hiatus so I don't have much advice yet, but I ran a magnum canister filter in a 55 gallon freshwater tank and it worked wonderfully. I also had power heads with an UGF running. There was plenty of flow, but there were no discus or angelfish, just oscars, dempseys and such.

Keep us informed on your progress and if the flow is too strong or not! Your plan sounds a lot like mine so I have a selfish interest, LOL.
I am still just trying to find a good place to buy a tank!

Well work got in the way of my plan to buy the tank but luckily the owner of the LFS saved me a 75g and is going to honor the sale price that was going on this past weekend. What a nice guy! :)

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Fluval 405 right now, price is right and has some pretty good reviews.

Decided I'm going to go bare bottom for a while until the discus grow out a bit. I'll be buying them at 2.5".

Time to go to the lumber store so I can build my bar and stand for the tank. The tank will be on a halfwall behind the bar.

Back
Top Bottom