Filter for a 1 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessieVB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting a filter for my 1 gallon aquarium. (The 1 gal. in this link is the exact one I have: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752291&cp=2767036.2769119&sr=1)

So I have a UGF, but I'd like to have an actual filter. I have a betta in the bowl, so I don't want anything too strong. I can and would like to upgrade to a 1.5 or 2 gal. (I would love to go larger, but if he's going to stay at college with me the largest I really "should" have is 1.5 gal, but I don't think the landlords will notice if its a 2 gal.)

Is there a filter suitable for a 1 gal. tank (or even a 1.5/2 gal. tank)?

I've found a couple of filters that I think might work, but I don't want to risk getting something too big for the betta. . . Here's some links to the filters I've found:

Azoo Palm Filter

The mini: Duetto Multi-Filters

Fish | Fish Filtration & Circulation | Tetra Whisper 3i In-Tank Filter | Petsmart.com

And last but not least: Aquarium Filters / Fish Tank Filters: Aquarium Power Filters & Filter Systems at PETCO

Thank you all in advance! :)

I would go for the Azoo. You should check to see if the chain stores or a LFS has one of them. My buddy uses it on his 2.5 gal for his betta and it works great

I've seen the Duetto mini and I think it would work. The Whisper would be too big for a 1 gallon tank. The flow rate from the Hagen will be too much (58 GPH). Some of the reviews say the flow is too strong in tanks larger than yours. The Red Sea also seems like it would be a bit strong.

If size is an issue I'd think a 5 gallon would be fine and also much nicer for your fish. It'd also be easier to use a filter in.

I would love to put the fish in a 5 gallon or even a larger tank, but the max. tank size i'm allowed is 1.5 gallon.

So from what everyone is saying its narrowed down to the duetoo or the azoo. . . I'll do some research into those two and see what i can find. Thanks all for the help and suggestions! :)

Lets just say I go to college as well. I live in a suite style, our max tank is 1 10 Gallon. Ummmm....I have a 20 Gallon Tall and 14G in the living room and then 5 Gallon and 3 Gallon in my room...lol. Azoo is probably the best.

I have the Azoo in my 5 gallon, it has an adjustable flow rate, but it might be a little strong even turned down for a 1 gallon, but if you went up to a 2 you'd probably be ok, just to throw in my $0.02 :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. If someone comes in for inspection and is anal enough to figure and measure that it is a two gallon instead of 1. Then I have no idea. IF ANYTHING! I would push for a 2.5 Mini-Bow with an undergravel filter. Yes, I do realize UG filters are going out of style but it will keep the water flow down for the betta.

All-Glass Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Hahaha yeah, IMO an AGA rectangular 2.5g doesn't even LOOK like it would hold a full gallon of milk, so you could maybe go with that and the Azoo (or that 2.5 kit looks decent enough too :))

I went to PetSmart today to look into getting a bigger thank for my fish and looked at a 2.5 rectangle . . . it looks a lot smaller than the 1 gallon, but looks can be deceiving I guess. I'll do that or I think i may have found a cheap 3 or even 5 gallon option that doesn't look too big. . .

I think I've decided to upgrade him to the 5 gallon option I found, which only looks like it would hold a gallon or two of milk (so hopefully it'll fool the landlords lol). As soon as I get back to my house (currently at the moms) Pete's getting a brand new home.

For a moment I was tempted to give a friend or two in his bigger home... but he didn't like the snail when there was one in the tank so I think I'll forgo giving him a friend to keep him company. . .

Awesome! I recently upgrade my Betta from a ~1g to a 5 (did i already mention this? lol) And he LOVES it. I've been thinking about getting a few Otos to go in there, i figure they kind of mind their own business at the bottom and he stays in the middle/top of the tank, He's so docile though, i had to pull him from my community because he hid all the time because his tail was getting nibbled at. Bettas all have very different personalities!

Oh and i totally agree that the 5 looks like it could barely hold 2 gallons of milk also! :-D

Yeah, I'm excited. He won't get upgraded until Sun. or Mon. but I'll update everyone when he's in his new home.

I don't know that mine's docile. He flared up at the snail when I had one in there, but he never touched it so far as I know. He's pretty curious though and has lots of personality. He was afraid of the bubbler of for the UGF when I first got him, but now he hides behind it when I do water changes. And I'm half convinced he's part chameleon (he was bright neon blue when I got him, and pinkish-white when I got him in clear water, purple when I brought him to my moms over Christmas break, and now he's back to pink. . .)

K. Plan thwarted by price of what I want. :(

I had a 5 gal. tank option picked out (for about $14 for the tank and a hood), add in another $15 for a light for plants/so pete doesn't sit in the dark ALL day, and $10 for a filter, possibly more for gravel (I have about 3 lbs at home I can use, but if thats not enough). . . I think I'll just buy a 5 gal. that comes with everything for the same price. PetSmart has some on sale right now I think.

Hey that sounds good! I agree, make sure to post pictures of your betta in his new home once he's settled!!! :)

maxwellag, I approved your post but be aware that this thread is three years old.

steve- I know it's 3 years old, I wanted to test replying in a thread with a hyperlink. I chose this one because it is old and thought no one would read it.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom